We are the company behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, and WooCommerce. We’re looking for an Analytics Engineer / Developer to join our data team.As the data landscape evolves, so do our roles. As an Analytics Engineer you will:
- Create data pipelines and reports that deliver actionable insights to our product and business teams.
- Always be raising data quality. That includes auditing sources, documenting issues, driving resolutions together with other teams, and implementing well-documented, performant, and tested transformations.
- Perform ad hoc analyses to better understand customer behavior, needs, and individual test results.
- Develop Looker models and dashboards.
- Partner with analysts and developers to increase data accessibility across the organization.
Communication with and empathy for our colleagues is a key part of this job – curiosity about the puzzles they face is a requirement. Data can be unruly: you’ll need to be prepared to face uncertainty and provide your best guess sometimes – our work is as much about cleaning and testing the legacy pipeline as it is about creating excellent reporting and solving business problems.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You’re fluent in SQL: window functions and CTEs are part of our daily work.
- You’re familiar with Java, Python, PHP, or another scripting language.
- You have used a data flow scheduling system like Airflow or dbt.
- You have experience with a business intelligence platform: we use Looker and strongly prefer experience with that platform, but other platforms and a willingness to learn can go a long way.
- You have experience working across teams to deliver analytics solutions and are familiar with common metrics of a software as a service (SaaS) business.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- You’re able to communicate clearly with and about data to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- You’re highly collaborative and experienced in working with business owners, executives, developers, and creatives to discuss data, strategy, and tests.
Curious about who we are and what we work on? Read our blog!
Like all positions at Automattic, you’ll work remotely, and can be based wherever you live. It’s not a requirement that you live in or relocate to the Bay Area to do this job. Automattic has more than a dozen full-time global nomads!
We’re a distributed company with more than 900 Automatticians in 65+ countries speaking 75+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ this domain telling us about yourself and attach a résumé as a PDF. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject.
Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? Include answers to these questions in your cover letter:
- Tell us how the Analytics Engineer role fits into an Analytics organization, and how your experience and skills qualify you to play that role.
- What would you like to be working on in 2021?