Posted 4 months ago
Workstream (www.workstream.is) transforms the way deskless workers work, starting from automating their hiring and onboarding workflows. We help companies to streamline the hiring process with workflow automation, SMS communication and machine learning. Our clients include Jamba Juice, McDonald's, Westin, Marriott, Uber, Subway, Dunkin', Panera Bread, Coupa Cafe, Sightglass Coffee, Equator Coffee and more.
We are a team from Stanford, MIT, Google, Y Combinator, Harvard, Cornell, Yelp, Qualtrics, Glassdoor, WeChat and more and are backed by investors including Basis Set Ventures, Valar Ventures, ex-Googler Fund, Peterson Ventures, Joe Montana, CEO of Zoom, CEO of Logitech, COO of Yelp, Chairman of JetBlue, CMO Hubspot, and more. Global at our core, we are headquartered in San Francisco, and have presence in the US, Europe, China and Singapore from day one.
We are looking for a data analyst to join our fast growing team, working alongside the founders. Ideally, you are passionate, detail-oriented, an excellent communicator, independent thinker and incredibly intelligent.
The Nitty-gritty Details
Position: Data Analyst
Position type: Full-time
Reporting to: Co-founder & chief product officer
Opportunities to Progress in Career
Workstream is a San Francisco based, rapidly growing, seed-stage startup, funded by well known institutional and angel investors (happy to share more privately). We are a small team of ~20 full timers + a few part timers with strong passion to make hiring easier and faster. We hope you will bring the same energy and share with the team.
We are looking for someone that can grow with our team over time. You will start as a Data Analyst, but it won’t be any ordinary analyst. You will get plenty of exposure to the leadership team (think weekly), reporting directly to one of the founders. You will also get to work closely with our engineering team to build and maintain our data warehouse and data infrastructure, in addition to answering business questions.
You will succeed if you have a startup mentality of “getting sh*t done”, and you will grow as the company scales. If you are looking for a relaxed 9-5, please back away slowly. If you are insanely bright, hard working, humble, and looking to build a career on the ground floor of an exciting and fast-growing software-as-a-service (SaaS) business, this is for you.
Watch this video of Lei (co-founder / chief product officer) describing this role.
- You will be responsible for creating and maintaining company KPI dashboards so everyone across the company can monitor our performance (we are transparent and data-driven), and team leads can make informed decisions. This means writing a LOT of SQL -- and making sure the data is accurate and reliable.
- Then, you will explain those metrics to leadership and each team, making sure they understand the ins-and-outs of the data. As a data analyst, you know that there are caveats behind every single chart; it’s your job to make sure that your audience understands it too when they make business-critical decisions. This may come in 1:1 meetings, team meetings, or deep dive sessions.
- You will also be called on and counted on for supporting ad hoc requests from the leadership, and to help with preparing board decks. These may happen last-minutely and urgently, and you’ll be expected to act quick, without compromising quality.
- To do all of these, we need a solid foundation of data warehouse and architecture. Together with your manager, you will build and maintain our data warehouse and architecture. That means working with engineering to integrate new data sources (as our teams adopt new internal tools). It also means creating and maintaining clear documentation on data flow, schema, and naming convention.
- You are at the frontline at fostering a data-driven culture across the company. Champion for single source of truth (SSOT), and champion for understanding and using data the right way.
- Lastly, train and guide other teammates (sales ops, customer success ops, etc.) on how they can best use data to guide their own work.
Skill sets and requirements
- You resonate with our company values. Culture fit is a must have for us, and hopefully these will resonate with you! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SHaeKG3IUy_1kE0y8FRnM8PPoEdMS0gmNIsSP3dG-3A/edit
- You are humble, hungry, disciplined, and curious.
- You have 3+ years experience in data analytics for SaaS businesses.
- You understand SaaS, B2B, and startup metrics very well.
- SQL ninja – excellent SQL skills, able to create charts/reports/dashboards in minutes.
- Fundamental understanding of relational databases.
- Fluent with data visualisation/business intelligence tools such as Mode, Periscope, Looker.
- Fluent with Google Sheets and (to a lesser extent) Excel.
- Experience working with large and complex datasets.
- Comfortable communicating technical concepts to high level stakeholders.
- Ability to work autonomously in a dynamic environment.
- You are an excellent written and verbal communicator.
- You have fantastic problem-solving abilities, analytical horsepower, an attention to detail, and a willingness to do whatever it takes to get things done.
- Self-directed learner who requires little oversight.
Nice to have:
- You have worked remotely before.
- You have an engineering / devops background and can maintain our data infrastructure.