Posted 6 months ago
350.org is looking for a motivated organizer who is excited about building a movement powered by volunteers that is ready to take on the fossil fuel industry.
350.org strives to be an inclusive, collaborative, fun and equitable work environment that brings a variety of approaches to addressing the climate crisis. We're committed to building an organization that is self-reflective, high-impact, innovative and integrates principles of justice and equity into our campaigning and movement-building. Diverse perspectives and experiences improve the way 350.org carries out its work and we value new perspectives, creative ideas and different ways of working. We do our best to make staff positions accessible to all potential team members, regardless of gender, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation or identity. We particularly encourage applicants from communities most impacted by climate change or other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustice.
If you have suggestions for us on how to do this better, we really value your input and strongly encourage you to write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line 'Hiring Feedback'.
350.org is building a global grassroots movement to solve the climate crisis. Our online campaigns, grassroots organizing, and mass public actions are led from the bottom up by thousands of volunteer organizers in over 188 countries. 350.org works hard to organize in a new way—everywhere at once, using online tools to facilitate strategic offline action. We want to be a laboratory for the best ways to strengthen the climate movement and catalyze transformation around the world. The values that guide and drive our work are listed here.
In the US, 350 fights for a just and equitable world by stopping the fossil fuel industry from continuing to destroy our climate. We do this by building a powerful multiracial movement to confront and isolate the fossil fuel industry.
About the California Regional Field Organizer
350.org has a robust network of local affiliates across California and is hiring an organizer who can both work with existing groups and help us recruit, train and support more volunteer leaders across California. This person will use digital platforms and traditional organizing skills to grow 350's organizing networks in the region and increase public participation in campaigns to stop fossil fuels and win equitable climate solutions. The organizer will be part of our national field team working to build a powerful, grassroots climate justice movement.
Desired (but not required) skills and experiences
- 3+ years of experience in the nuts and bolts of organizing including recruiting, organizing, training, and supporting volunteer-led grassroots organizations and experience supporting the development of effective leaders.
- Experience or familiarity organizing with an orientation to movement building and broader social justice approach, including working in diverse coalitions, especially in communities of color, low-income communities, and communities impacted by climate change.
- Campaign strategy, planning, and volunteer management experience.
- Proven ability to work effectively with people from diverse racial, ethnic, class, age, gender, and sexual orientation backgrounds.
- Ability to adapt to and juggle evolving and competing priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Comfortable working independently as part of a remote team and communicating over phone, Slack, and messaging programs.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of your staff time including a valid driver's license and clean driving record
A typical week in this position could include:
- Experience working on grassroots campaigns to influence decision makers.
- Experience building or leading a local activist organization, including creating effective structures, decision-making and campaign development.
- Fluency in additional languages beyond English (particularly Spanish)
- Experience creating externally facing, written and/or visual content for organizing campaigns
- Familiarity or excitement to learn digital organizing skills using new strategies and platforms.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management & organizational skills and ability to keep track of multiple projects and relationships.
- Daily interaction with local leaders and volunteers on the ground, troubleshooting, building relationships and general support
- Drafting emails to a volunteer base, hosts or leaders for distributed actions
- Several calls with internal teams on specific projects (e.g. an upcoming action), an internal campaign call, or a check in with your manager
- Helping develop organizing plans for our network and activists
We are looking for someone who is comfortable working both independently and in teams, highly responsive, and able to lead initiatives as well as take direction from others.
Although we hope to begin interviews during the week of June 3rd, 2019, this job is open until filled, or the hiring manager determines that they can no longer accept applications.
Start Date: Flexible, Ideally the week of July 15th
$55,000 - $65,000 depending on location and qualifications
This position can work out of our Oakland office or based remotely anywhere in California