Posted over 1 year ago
At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to real time Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. The Elastic family unites employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
Thanks to our ongoing expansion we have the opportunity to grow our Site Reliability team. We're a part of the Elastic Cloud engineering team with a focus on solving Cloud operations problems and keeping the SaaS online, who aren't afraid to get our hands dirty. We are the first line of consumers for Elastic's products and our experience helps influence the direction of the stack. While most organizations may have a single or a handful of Elastic Stack deployments, here you'll be responsible for identifying, troubleshooting and reporting platform problems to product engineers (or fixing the code yourself) in order to ensure that the thousands of Elasticsearch clusters we manage are providing a stable and reliable service. We're looking for people who are just as passionate about solving issues with distributed systems as they are to automate, code and collaborate to solve problems.What you will be doing
What you will bring along
- Help lead the SRE team managing thousands of Elasticsearch clusters in our SaaS offering
- Combine Elastic's products (Elasticsearch, Kibana, Beats, Machine Learning.) with cloud management technologies (Kubernetes, Docker.) to create reliable and scalable Cloud solutions for customers
- Have a scope that covers contributing to technical plans and direction within Cloud and across other product teams in Elastic
- Understand our company strategy and help guide our Cloud product's direction to realize it
- Work with a distributed team of engineers from all across the globe.
- Build and operate mission critical services on a globally distributed level, using Cloud hosting providers like GCP, Azure, etc.
- Guide the teams to ensure good engineering practices are being followed
- Work with Support and other teams across Elastic to respond to escalations
- Work with the teams to ensure good engineering practices are being followed
- Lead multiple software projects simultaneously
- Own the performance management process for your teams
- Help individuals grow and the team be successful
- Be a respectful, communicative team member
- Represent product and company with the community and customers
What would be great:
- Experience deploying and operating SaaS in production
- Previous experience with SRE principles
- BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years experience leading teams of software engineers or SREs
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Ego-free attitude — we are here for the success of the team and the company
- Empathy, transparency, and a good sense of humour
- Experience managing distributed teams
- Experience managing an open source product team
- Experience as a hands-on software engineer so you understand the core principles of the engineering work
- Experience supporting customer problems and communication
- Experience or interest in speaking/presenting at tech conferences.
- Experience in managing on-call schedules (PagerDuty, VictorOps, etc)
- Experience at Open source projects and companies
- Experience in communication and organization in large, distributed teams
We're looking to hire team members invested in realising the goal of making real-time data exploration easy and available to anyone. As a distributed company, we believe that diversity drives our vibe! Whether you're looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Global minimum of 16 weeks parental leave (moms & dads)
- Generous vacation time and one week of volunteer time off
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.