Posted 9 months ago
At Red Hat, we connect an innovative community of customers, partners, and contributors to deliver an open source stack of trusted, high-performing solutions. We offer cloud, Linux, middleware, storage, and virtualization technologies, together with award-winning global customer support, consulting, and implementation services. Red Hat is a rapidly growing company supporting more than 90% of Fortune 500 companies.
The Red Hat Legal team is looking for a talented attorney to serve as a Commercial Attorney in our commercial transactions group supporting our Latin America (LATAM) team at our office in São Paulo, Brazil. In this role, you'll report to Latin America Legal Counsel, providing direct support to Red Hat’s sales teams in structuring and closing deals, as well as defining legal strategies. You’ll need to have an ability to assess legal risks while applying sound legal and business judgment. You’ll also need to have excellent communication skills to interact with internal and external business customers while addressing complex issues in an accurate, clear, and concise yet thorough manner. Ideally, you should have experience negotiating contracts and an understanding of the practical business risks and needs of your customers, a passion for technology, excellent problem-solving skills, and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing technology and business landscape. The legal challenges that we face are often unique, such as developing and maintaining a framework for supporting a thriving business built on open source principles. You’ll need to come prepared to tackle these challenges and help build and sustain a great technology company in a high-energy and demanding environment.
- Draft, review, and negotiate commercial contracts like master services and software subscription agreements, professional services agreements and statements of work, master subcontract services, and partner agreements for resellers, distributors, systems integrators (SIs), independent software vendors (ISVs), and cloud providers
- Educate customers about open source development and licensing, including Red Hat’s subscription business model
- Support and coach our regional sales team
- Work with product, finance, and operations teams to develop negotiation strategies and resolve contractual issues
- Assist with the development of new Red Hat’s offerings, programs, and contract templates
- Participate in compliance initiatives, including training internal customers on legal and contracting policies or issues, and ethics and anti-corruption issues
- Serve as a subject matter expert on various legal developments relevant to commercial issues
- Law degree from a top Brazilian law school with excellent academic credentials
- License to practice law in Brazil
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience in software and information technology (IT) services contract negotiations, with a solid knowledge of commercial and contract law
- In-house commercial contracting experience dealing with technology revenue transactions and supporting a sales organization or law firm; experience drafting and negotiating complex business transactions like merger and acquisition (M&A) agreements, debt and equity financing arrangements, business-process outsourcing agreements, etc.
- Proficiency in drafting and editing legal documents
- Ability to work with minimal supervision while maintaining a firm focus on applying commercial legal principles to practical business relationships and offerings
- Ability to work under pressure and balance multiple tasks in a fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, attention to detail, and excellent analytical skills demonstrated in your work experience
- Demonstrated passion for technology, software, intellectual property, and open source or copyleft licensing issues
- Ability to work efficiently, meet demanding deadlines in a fast-paced environment, prioritize work, and adjust to frequent workload fluctuations
- Creative problem-solving skills with a focus on achieving results that benefit our business and recognize customer needs at the same time
- Fluent reading, writing, speaking, and listening English language skills
- Intermediate reading, writing, speaking, and listening Spanish language skills
The following are considered a plus:
- Proficiency in legal Spanish
- Positive, can-do attitude and a sense of humor
- Experience with public sector contracts
- Experience with open source technologies
Red Hat is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Red Hat does not seek or accept unsolicited resumes or CVs from recruitment agencies. We are not responsible for, and will not pay, any fees, commissions, or any other payment related to unsolicited resumes or CVs except as required in a written contract between Red Hat and the recruitment agency or party requesting payment of a fee.