School of Motion is looking for an experienced Creative Director to lead up our 2D Design & Animation curriculum.
We are on the prowl for an experienced CD who is ready for a new type of challenge. School of Motion produces extremely comprehensive, effective, and unique Motion Design courses that run on our custom learning-management-system. Our classes feature world-class instructors, challenging homework assignments, an engaging community, and a team of industry-pros working as teaching assistants to help our students achieve success.
As Creative Director, your responsibilities will include:
- Working with our Course Production team to plan out and develop a comprehensive 2D Design & Animation curriculum.
- Working alongside our producers and instructors to develop detailed outlines for new courses.
- Developing creative for new classes, including lessons, examples, exercises, interviews, and more. Sometimes this may mean fleshing out a made-up brand with made-up advertisement that relies on made-up creative and a made-up script. You’re building worlds, here.
- Ensuring the highest-quality of all course materials. Providing feedback to instructors as they create lessons.
- Coordinating / directing artists and studios as needed. We are constantly hiring outside talent to build assets and creative for our classes.
- Working with our Marketing team to help promote our courses and curriculum. In addition, help develop content for our YouTube channel, podcast, and blog.
- Helping to identify and to vet Instructors and Teaching Assistants.
- Traveling a few times per year to oversee video shoots for course content, marketing elements, and annual company retreats.
Required / Desired Skills & Experience
- 7-10 Years of experience in the industry at a minimum, ideally in high-level roles at a top studio, agency, or company.
- Expert-level knowledge of the most common tools in the 2D Motion Design pipeline. (After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator). Knowledge of additional tools is a bonus.
- Strong writing skills are required. CD’s will often write scripts, treatments, and various other copy.
- Strong background in Animation & Design required. Knowing the tools is not enough.
- Editing chops are a huge plus, as you may need to produce animatics / edits as part of course development.
- Strong interpersonal skills are a must.
- You must be comfortable speaking on camera. Hamming it up is encouraged.
- Having a large rolodex of designers, animators, and other talented folk is a huge bonus. We work with freelancers and studios all the time, and existing relationships always make that process smoother.
Salary & Benefits
- Salary is dependent on experience, but this is a senior-level role and the salary will reflect that. $100K+.
- We cover 100% of your health insurance and a portion for your spouse and children. Dental and Vision insurance are also available.
- We have an extremely flexible time off policy.
- Access to a 401K plan after one year of employment.
- Profit based bonus program.
- This is a full-time, senior-level position with a competitive salary + benefits.
- While School of Motion does not discriminate on the basis of citizenship or national origin, we may only employ United States citizens and people who are authorized to work in the United States. As long as you meet that criteria, you can work from wherever that is comfortable for you! We’re a fully remote team that primarily operates on Eastern Standard Time, and if you are local to Sarasota, Providence, Detroit, or Los Angeles then you can come work with us in person.
- We have a very flexible schedule at School of Motion. Most of our team work on EST time, but we’re a results-driven company, not an hours-driven one. There are, of course, deadlines and scheduled meetings / activities, but for the most part you are given autonomy with regards to your schedule.
- Saying that we have a very casual work environment is an understatement, just be you.
Our Core Values:
Our core values embody our team dynamic and our voice. We are rebellious, helpful, effective, playful, and curious. If you would like to work with us, you should be all of these things too:
Rebellious: We don’t like to do things just because they’ve always been done that way. Be skeptical of the status quo and constantly improve.
Helpful: There is no such thing as “not my job”. Help out in any way you can, and don’t hesitate to reach out for help.
Effective: We do things fast and smart. We automate if it makes sense. We skip the meeting if its not immediately beneficial to the mission.
Playful: No Bad Vibes. Don’t take yourself too seriously, it’s only Animation.
Curious: Have interests, pursue them ruthlessly. Share your weirdness.
About School of Motion
School of Motion was founded in 2013. Since then, we have served thousands of students from all over the globe in our quest to break down the barriers to learning, mastering, and working in the field of Motion Design.
We are a fully-remote company with a team that is distributed across the United States.
School of Motion is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind.
School of Motion is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at School of Motion are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Worried about confidentiality issues? Don’t be. Your application to School of Motion will be submitted in confidence, directly to the hiring staff.
Location: US Locations Only