Posted over 1 year ago
Senior DevOps Engineer - 100% Remote
Reports to: Lead DevOps Engineer
Team: Product team
Ceros is the world's leading collaborative design platform. We empower designers and marketers to create beautiful, interactive content experiences, all without the need to write a code or test in all those pesky browsers.
Our customers include some of the world’s leading brands, such as Mashable, Bloomberg, Red Bull, United Airlines, and AIG.
We are well-funded and venture-backed by prominent investors including Grotech Ventures, Sigma Prime, Starvest Partners, Greycroft and Mark Cuban.
About the Product
Designing and building the Ceros platform is no easy task. We require the best-of-the-best web
developers, infrastructure engineers, designers, and QA testers, ready to bring the functionality of desktop software to the web, often pushing web browsers to the limits of what’s currently possible.
applications with a client-heavy focus. We use libraries like jQuery, Require, and Backbone. The Ceros Studio is architected around the HTML5 Canvas element.
We’re not language zealots. We believe in using the right tools for the job, and our current server- side infrastructure runs PHP, Node.js, Redis, MySQL, on AWS. We have the beginnings of a CI/CD Pipeline built out of Jenkins using Docker and Amazon ECS and we’re looking to grow and improve it.
About the Team
As part of the Ceros product team, you’ll be working with a cross-functional group of the most talented people you’ve ever worked with. We hire only passionate and creative people with a proven and unquestionable ability to execute, and every member of the team is equally responsible for moving the product forward.
We have a dynamic company culture that collaborates daily. We care deeply about the user experience, and we debate passionately about our ideas. When you work at Ceros, you check your ego at the door, and you aren’t afraid to be honest, especially to yourself. We take our jobs seriously but ourselves not so much.
The DevOps team is the primary caretaker of the infrastructure, responsible for owning the infrastructure roadmap and pushing it forward. We’re constantly looking to improve the infrastructure to make it more stable, scalable, available, more easily deployed, and easier to work with.
We follow DevOps principles, which means we view ourselves as the deep knowledge and support for all the developers when they need to write infrastructure code for their stories and fight the tendency to silo on a daily basis. We each attend one of the other development team’s standups as a liaison and we keep the door to the #devops slack wide open for anyone who has questions. We review the other team’s infrastructure code to make sure it’s in line with where we want to go. And we work to build better tooling around development processes to support the other teams in their work to push the product forward.
About the Job
As a DevOps focused engineer, your typical day-to-day involves:
* Evaluating, testing and building new infrastructure tools and technology
* Writing detailed planning documents on stories so your teammates can assess the proposed approaches to a story, offer suggestions of approaches missed, and we can all agree on where to go from there
* Writing maintainable code (probably goes without saying)
* Carrying out and being on the receiving end of intense code review sessions from your peers who hold your work (and their own) to the highest of standards
* Helping the full stack development teams write infrastructure code, and reviewing said code
* Writing clear documentation around infrastructure code and development tooling so that it’s easy to understand, use, and modify
* Working closely with the rest of the team to deploy new releases and data migrations without hiccups
* And finally, ensuring the availability of the Ceros platform
What we’re looking for:
* Experience with CI/CD pipelines, configuration management, infrastructure orchestration, containerization, linux administration... you know, DevOps.
* An eagerness to write well documented, clear code. You understand that infrastructure code is still code and the principles of documentation and organization that apply to every other kind of code, still apply here.
* The wisdom of experience. You understand that principles and design patterns are important guidelines, but not hard and fast rules. You know when to apply a pattern and when not to, when to hold fast to a certain principle, and when to let it go. You understand that sometimes we can’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good and we’ll have to take on tech debt, but when we do, it should be with consideration and intention (and should be documented).
* An eagerness to learn - DevOps is still very new and there isn’t really a consensus around any particular approach yet. New technologies are constantly being introduced. We’re looking for engineers who are able and eager to keep up with the pace of our rapidly evolving field.
* Our pipeline is currently built out in Jenkins, uses Docker for containerization, and uses Cloudformation to represent infrastructure as code. We use a wide array of Amazon offerings, but our primary stack is EC2 backed ECS, ElastiCache, and Aurora. Experience with any of these technologies is a plus, but not a requirement.
Key things to know
* This is a remote role
* We want you to start ASAP
* This is a full-time position
* Unlimited vacation days
* Competitive salary
* Stock options
* Premium health insurance
Working completely from home, you’ll be communicating often through chat rooms, email, and video conferencing. We offer flexible working hours and an extremely flexible vacation policy. And we provide excellent gear (15” Macbook Pro, iPad, external monitor, etc.).
If you’re interested in being part of the Ceros team, please send your resume and a cover letter to us. We’re a company of passionate, honest, and sometimes silly people, so don’t be afraid to express yourself.