Posted over 1 year ago
Work Location: Remote
Position: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Deputy Director
Salary: $90,000-110,000 DOE
Start Date: ASAP
The National Domestic Workers Alliance (www.domesticworkers.org) organizes domestic workers in the United States for respect, recognition and labor standards. We work to guarantee labor protections for domestic workers by winning legislation at the state level, pushing for regulatory changes at the national level, through the International Labor Organization at the global level, and elevating domestic workers as key leaders in building a powerful movement for social and global justice. The Alliance formed in 2007 at the US Social Forum and currently represents 68 affiliates and chapters in 18 states, and a growing base of individual members.
Since its inception, NDWA has been an alliance of independent affiliate organizations. NDWA’s Board of Directors, represented by affiliates and allies, set a goal of organizing 250,000 domestic workers nationally by increasing the size and scale of affiliates and by creating a membership program of at least 200,000 members. Now domestic workers who live in regions without affiliates can join NDWA directly, receive benefits and connect to other workers. The membership program is a strategy to address challenges of scale and sustainability, helping the domestic worker movement build the power necessary to successfully advance an ambitious agenda for social and economic justice.
NDWA is seeking a skilled Digital Director to develop NDWA’s overall digital strategies to grow our list of supporters and workers, activate them into action and build support for our movement. The Digital Director will work closely with the communications, organizing and field teams as the person responsible for overall digital organizing and communication strategies. The Digital Director should be an experienced manager, ready to recruit, hire, and train a team to support the organizing and communications work of the Digital team.
- Develop overall digital strategies for online community growth and engagement, including email, mobile, social media, and web
- Build and maintain email list, including list segmentation, writing compelling content, growing our list, and syncing with ongoing campaigns
- Build and maintain member social audience, including audience development, writing compelling content, producing social media graphics, and analyzing data from social campaigns
- Manage digital communications strategy, including calendaring, editorial voice/tone, and overall digital brand strategy
- With the communications and membership teams, play a lead role in evaluating and improving overall worker communications frames and messaging and worker acquisition strategies
- Oversee content creation, including email, SMS, organic social, paid digital, and web and social media
- Understand and apply data-driven decision making to our organizational online presence, including analysis, reporting, and targeting
- Recruit, hire, train, and manage the digital team
- Ensure smooth coordination between digital, communications, organizing and field teams
- 5-7+ years experience as digital strategist for a social justice organization
- Proven experience in designing and implementing digital campaigns, the building of a member social audience, maintenance of a member email list and the application of data-driven decision-making.
- Familiarity with digital strategies for engaging communities with limited access to technology
- Experience with audience development and developing digital content with an eye for growth
- Training and leadership development skills, especially for people with limited digital/technical experience
- Experience coordinating projects that involve organizers on the ground, digital and communications teams, and frontline communities and members is a must.
- Experience working with designers and developers, especially communicating needs from non-digital practitioners and managing deadlines
- Strong writing and editing skills, especially in writing for the internet
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Commitment to building the power of domestic workers
- Preference for applicant with experience in developing digital communications messaging frameworks
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Spanish preferred but not required
- Basic html recommended but not required
- Experience with paid digital strategies, particularly managing digital vendors, a plus