Posted about 1 year ago
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today's entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about being high performing team players and who can take new challenges and go the extra mile.
The Director, Accounting Operations will be responsible for a wide variety of tasks associated with transactional operations within the Accounting Organization. Responsibilities include managing the core accounting functions including Accounts Payable, Payroll and Fixed Assets. This position will be responsible for business process transformation, establishing and maintaining accounting policies, systems implementation and strong internal controls. Responsibilities include driving six sigma-type disciplines through a data driven approach and methodology through measurement-based strategy that focuses on process improvement. This position will have primary responsibility for establishing, enhancing and monitoring internal controls in accordance with Sarbanes-Oxley compliance standards.
We are looking for someone who will liaise with internal customers and external vendors on business transactions and projects. The Director, Accounting Operations will drive policy development and process improvement optimizing department processes and building lasting relationships. The successful candidate must be highly analytical, organized and possess a high aptitude for problem solving, as well as excellent written and oral communication skills. Additionally, the successful candidate will adapt quickly to change and will champion the advancement of processes and controls in Procure to Pay, Hire to Retire, Capitalization of Fixed Assets including Internally Developed Software that will enhance the accounting and overall finance function. This position reports to the VP, Finance.What You'll Be Doing:
What We'll Expect From You:
- Document current business processes and future state business processes with test scenarios for implementing new ERP solution and maintenance of ERP once implementation complete. Key member of new ERP implementation team.
- Maintain standard operating procedures that result in productivity and scalability.
- Establish and maintain the company's Delegation of Authority.
- Partner with the Infrastructure Procurement Management on Procure to Pay process.
- Partner with the People Team on Hire to Retire process.
- Develop process with Legal and Procurement for contract management solution to store supplier metadata. Ensure accuracy of master data in ERP.
- Lead the Corporate Credit Card, Procurement Card, Travel Policy and Expense Report Policy, process and system solutions.
- Supervise and train/cross train the Accounts Payable, Payroll and Staff Accounting team members.
- Maintain cash management policies and assess banking capabilities.
- Sarbanes-Oxley compliance including maintaining requisite controls and procedures to support the financial system and operational processes. Work closely with Internal Audit to develop, establish, remediate and implement additional controls as needed.
- Schedule and assure timely completion of Monthly, Quarterly and Year End Financial Closing.
- Prepare and maintain account reconciliations and ensure that account activity and balances are audited for accuracy/reasonableness and reconciled regularly.
- Drive improvements to internal processes and work collaboratively with People, Infrastructure and Engineering teams to increase suppliers and employee value creation.
- Assists with the creation of new policies and procedures as required.
- Interact with other various levels of management on significant matters often requiring coordination between various organizations.
- Provide positive support and interaction with co-workers, internal customers and business partners.
- Complete other special analyses and project assignments as directed
- Work closely with Corporate Systems and key business owners to drive key system initiatives and improvements.
- Ensure information systems are scalable and adequate for the volume and complexity of transactions as well as for analyzing financial data.
Why You'll Like Working for DigitalOcean
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting Required. Designation of Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Required. Master's Degree in Accounting or Finance a strong plus.
- Progressively more responsible experience with a combination of public accounting and private company experience in accounting, auditing and finance, with working knowledge of US GAAP interpretation and financial statement preparation a must.
- Strong leadership skills and strong experience managing a team.
- Strong process improvement execution. Ability to develop and communicate effective ways to measure improvement.
- Ability to manage the day to day activities of professional accounting staff and collaborate with peers, and other financial management as well as external audit personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and define accounting problems, evaluate alternatives, and implement effective solutions. Ability to be exacting, thorough and attentive to detail, while still meeting deadlines required.
- Excellent organizational ability required to handle multiple priorities.
- Strong desire to learn; self-motivated; takes initiative and can work independently.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a customer service focus.
- Experience and advanced knowledge of various accounting systems such as SAP 4/Hana, NetSuite, Oracle, and Microsoft Office, is required.
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our "no jerks" rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You'll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you'll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We're also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Finance team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!