Posted 5 months ago
Director of Communications (Remote)
Title: Director of Communications
Reports to: Executive Director
Pay: 55k per year, Exempt
Benefits: Sick Time, PTO, and Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
Location: Flexible (USA)
Trans Lifeline connects trans people to the community, resources, and support they need to survive and thrive–building a resilient trans community through trans-led direct services. Trans Lifeline’s Hotline cares for trans people through moments of crisis and suicidality. Our Microgrants program provides low-barrier grants to trans people in need of legal name changes and updated government IDs–as well as specialized support for trans people who are incarcerated or undocumented. By providing care, Trans Lifeline identifies the trans community’s most pressing needs and brings that expertise to the broad movement for LGBT equality.
- Builds and maintains media relations by building relationships with members of the press/media, writing press releases and articles as needed, and creating pitch lists.
- Builds effective communication between Trans Lifeline and its donors, supporters, and the wider community.
- Plans and executes weekly, monthly, and yearly communication strategies using social media, email campaigns, and other relevant communication platforms.
- Works with Development Director to plan and execute digital fundraising campaigns to reach current and new audiences.
- Monitors campaign performance and budget pacing; reviews results, and strategizes ways to be more effective in future campaigns. Documents findings.
- Creates newsletters, reports, fact sheets, and other materials for fundraising and advocacy.
- Liaises with partner organizations and their communications teams around collaborations, messaging, and strategy.
- Coordinates with Trans Lifeline staff on messaging and best practices.
- Coordinates communications volunteers and contractors.
- 3-5 years relevant experience in communications.
- Ability and self-motivation to work autonomously.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to problem solve effectively under pressure.
- Fluency in issues of racialized and gendered oppressions.
- Demonstrated commitment to justice issues.
- Access to a reliable phone and internet connection. A work computer will be provided.
- Basic computer literacy including: typing skills, basic file management, using G Suite programs such as Google Docs and Google Forms, knowledge of browsing the internet, experience with email and experience using word processors and spreadsheets.
Additional Preferred Skills
- Experience working remotely and/or with a distributed team.
- Community organizing experience.
- Experience in the non-profit sector.
- Proficiency in a language in addition to English.
- Familiarity with non-profit communications best practices and legal limitations.
Trans Lifeline is an equal opportunity employer. Transgender, gender non-conforming and intersex people and people of color, people with disabilities, and formerly incarcerated people are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you haven’t heard from us yet, we are still actively considering your application. We will respond to all applicants.