Posted about 1 year ago
As a leader with the Strategy & Planning team within the Customer Success Group (CSG), this role will own our annual planning program (G4G), define critical business health metrics, and lead target setting for customer facing teams. They are a critical business partner to our leaders within Success and Renewals teams and play a key role in forming strategy for the business and driving it to implementation.
The broader CSG function covers 7,000+ employees and is responsible for managing customer relationships post-sale within Salesforce. This includes Success Management, Support, Professional Services, and Renewals functions. Our Strategy & Planning team reports through to the COO of CSG and owns strategy definition, headcount planning, territory carving and operations, metric design, target setting, and scorecard operations, among other activities. We perform similar functions to other Sales Strategy teams within Salesforce, but with a greater emphasis on customer health and long-term retention.
The Director of Strategy & Planning role leads a small team of experienced experts within CSG and is expected to bring a mix of deep analytical / statistical skills, team leadership, project management experience, and world class executive presence. The right candidate will be trusted to manage a our fast-paced annual planning process (G4G), help our existing team enhance their analytical and statistical modeling skills, work with and deeply understand complex data sources, and own the creation and communication of targets that stretch our customer facing teams (primarily Success Management and Renewals teams). The role requires an individual with an attention to detail, an appetite to stretch themselves, exceptional relationship skills, and a drive to get dirty with data. Above all, the Director of Strategy & Planning takes personal responsibility for their team's output and is willing to do what it takes to get it done.
- Provide business partnership for our leaders in Success and Renewals, helping them to identify performance gaps in their business, understand the root cause, and identify solutions during the annual planning cycle
- Manage our annual planning program (G4G), coordinating across multiple teams from Territory Carving, Finance, ES, and Data teams to ensure that upstream processes are tracking to plan and that executives are appraised of key risks.
- Design innovative KPIs for CSGthat capture the core goals of Customer Success and can become part of thousands of CSG compensation plans / operational reports; current metrics owned within the team include Attrition, Adoption (e.g., # Logins per month), and overall Account growth (AOV), with the potential to invent the next generation of innovative KPIs
- Lead target setting for customer facing teams that motivate our employees while stretching them to achieve the greatest performance; targets directly influence compensation for thousands of CSG employees and need deep understanding of the drivers of performance and the potential in each market to set accurately
- Forecast annual attainment for customer facing teamsagainst the targets set for each metric, supporting accurate financial forecasts of commission costs
- Enhance statistical and analytical skills within our teamsto expand our use of statistical modeling techniques (e.g., multivariate linear regressions, cohort analysis) to better understand the true drivers of CSG performance and inform business strategy, KPI design, and target setting.
- Get dirty with data, using your own skills (Excel, Tableau, SQL) to support executive level requests and help the team validate and improve their own analysis.
- Engage with customer facing teams and build trusted, collaborative relationships with stakeholders, especially within the Success Management and Renewals communities; being successful in this role requires that you're trusted as a fair, unbiased leader within CSG who can balance the requests of customer facing roles with the overall performance goals for the business
- Present to executive groups, including the President of Customer Success, on any issue related to G4G or CSG Performance Management
- Automate data processingrequired for metric design, analysis, and target setting. The end to end process for target setting requires access to data from multiple sources and recompiling historical data quickly for accurate YoY and trending analysis. The Director of Strategy & Planning for CSG will work across teams and support their directs to automate as much of the data collection and categorization as possible to reduce manual effort in our data analysis.
- Exceptional relationship building and executive presence skills
- Fast-moving project management experience
- Strong background in statistical and analytical modeling
- Experience applying and interpreting predictive models (e.g., regression analysis, random forest, time-series) and other supervised learned techniques
- Working knowledge of data science concepts such as statistical features, train test splitting, bootstrapping, model performance, and bias
- Knowledge of SQL and Excel a must; knowledge Python/R a bonus
- Degree in mathematics / statistics, economics, computer science, business, or related fields a plus
- 10 years+ work experience, with experience in related roles
- Understanding of Software as a Services (SaaS) business model; experience with support and services teams in a SaaS company beneficial
- Prior experience in management consulting or KPI development at a high growth company a plus
- Self-starter and high degree of motivation to go above and beyond the task at hand
Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.com or Salesforce.org.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Salesforce will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.