Posted 11 months ago
GitHub is changing the way the world builds software and we want you to help change the way we build GitHub. We’re looking for a senior engineering manager to work with a dynamic and distributed group of engineers building and improving our platform.
This role will lead our API team. The API team are responsible for the interfaces everyone uses to integrate with GitHub. These include our REST API and GraphQL API, which are used by both internal GitHub engineers and external integrators.
We are looking for a strong people manager - someone who does not necessarily code day-to-day, but has had hands-on engineering experience previously. You won’t need deep skills in all of the areas this team is responsible for, but you should be someone who can provide guidance, feedback, and advice to support your team.
Together, we are creating the tools and product that are integral to how people build software. We pride ourselves on being thoughtful, intentional and productive. We hope you are as well.
- Cultivate an environment where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging
- Meet with team members 1-1 on a regular basis
- Ensure that individuals on the team are learning, growing and advancing in their respective careers
- Ensure the team builds software that is architecturally consistent and of high quality
- Ensure the team ships products, features and bug fixes regularly
- Ensure the team, the company and the community have a clear understanding of the direction of the projects and the reasoning behind decisions
- 3+ years experience with managing engineering teams
- 3+ years of prior experience writing production code at scale
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Have worked with a distributed team
- Experience developing a strategy and roadmap for your teams
- Experience with GraphQL in production environments
- Developed or managed teams that built APIs at scale
- You have maintained a public API over multiple years
- Built or maintained planet-scale engineering systems
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 36 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
What We Value:Collaboration:
We believe the best work is done together.
We believe in putting people first.
We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Where We Can HirePlease note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.