Posted 5 months ago
Job DescriptionAbout Toptal
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As an Engineering Manager at Toptal, you will help us scale for our continued growth as a game-changing, industry-defining company shaping the future of work. You will lead and work across multiple engineering teams to improve workflow and delivery while driving engineering excellence and ensuring teams are delivering high-value results.
We are remote-only, have no office, and fully embrace a flexible work-life balance. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
You will be a technical and people steward for the teams you lead and manage. You will act as a mini-CTO within Toptal and report directly to the Chief Technology Officer. You will drive impact through the relationships you develop and the goals you deliver on. You will be constantly looking for ways to improve our products, workflow, technology stack, and to grow and develop the people under your management. You will work in an entirely distributed company and help define an entirely new space, while learning about how an organization scales on a hyper-growth trajectory.
In the first week you will:
- Join our bootcamp team and begin your introduction into Toptal.
- Get familiar with our product portfolio and team structure.
- Review our extensive Toptal Engineering Documentation to become familiar with our working processes.
In the first month you will:
- Transition from our bootcamp team and begin working with your first teams at Toptal.
- Attend regular meetings. Examples include a weekly Engineering Manager call and the once a month Engineering All-hands meeting..
In the first three months you will:
- Be leading three to four engineering teams.
- Understand the teams’ impediments and begin improving them.
- Be involved in team planning meetings and retrospectives.
- Ensure the product roadmap is well thought out and feasible for each team.
- Create regular feedback loops and be in constant daily communication with your teams.
- Make sure that every team is properly staffed and supported.
- Ensure that individuals are energized and motivated by their work.
- Oversee and drive the implementation of engineering best practices.
In the first six months you will:
- Drive engineering excellence and ensure teams are delivering high-quality results.
- Be involved in architectural conversations and give suggestions on improving code quality.
- Continue to increase the potential and performance of the teams.
- Collaborate on personal career paths and goals for everyone on the teams.
- Engage in interviewing for Toptal and hire exceptional people.
In the first year you will:
We are expecting from you to:
- Continue to identify and eliminate team distractions.
- Conduct performance and salary reviews.
- Continue to grow, develop, and manage the teams while identifying future leaders within Toptal.
- Drive consensus and results across teams.
- Help guide and direct the technical and product strategy.
- Have previous experience managing multiple engineering teams.
- Have experience in mentoring leaders and helping them grow.
- Have a track record of delivering successful products as an engineer and a team lead.
- Have experience guiding continuous improvement of process and technology.
- Excel at ownership. You take responsibility for the success of the engineering teams.
- Take quality as a foundation for everything. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- Think abstractly, while pay attention to important details at the same time.
- Have an ability to take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Be able to communicate clearly and constantly with teams.