Posted 5 months ago
At HelpDocs we build knowledge base software that helps companies of all sizes scale their support. We serve over a hundred million pages a month for Fortune 100 companies down to fledgling 2-people-in-a-garden-shed startups (true story).
We're making knowledge bases (traditionally dull and unloved) into something you actually want to update. One that helps to reduce churn and increase customer happiness.
We're a remote, bootstrapped, profitable team that's growing fast. All organically with (almost) zero paid advertising spend.
As the first non-founding Developer you'll work directly with the founders to plan, build, and ship product that our customers will love.
About the role
We don't expect you to have experience in, be an expert at, or even have an interest in all these things. Ultimately we're looking for a generalist, but you'll be choosing your own adventure. But here's the general responsibilities available for developers at HelpDocs.
Build frontend features for users
- Write frontend user-facing features in React/Redux
- Enhance our in-house text editor with new features that make our users' writing experience easier
- Improve our first-party integrations and plugins with services like Doorbell, Front, Intercom, and Google Chrome
- Maintain (and potentially kill) legacy code written in JQuery
- Build new knowledge base themes in Handlebars (and support old ones in Jade)
Build new APIs for internal and customer use
- Build new APIs for internal and customer use
- Write backend APIs for users in Go
- Maintain and write new microservices in Go and NodeJS to enhance the HelpDocs service. We run several microservices already for things like PDF generation and SSL certificates.
- Maintain legacy NodeJS APIs, rewriting into Go or splitting into microservices where appropriate
- Integrate our APIs with third parties to add functionality
- Interact with our MongoDB, Redis, Postgres, and Elasticsearch databases
Manage infrastructure and deploy to production multiple times a day
- Create, review, and merge your PRs (and those of others) in Github
- Interact with our Git repo in the command line
- Deploy to our staging and production Kubernetes clusters in Google Cloud
- Write and maintain nginx and Docker config
Stay close to customers and design the future of HelpDocs
- Respond to technical customer questions in chat and email
- Resolve technical customer support issues by interacting directly with our databases
- Build internal tooling to help the Customer Education team effectively support our users
- Work with the Customer Education team to understand user pain points and frustration
- Help design the roadmap and choose what you work on next
- You're fluent (like a native) in English. Bonus points if you speak a second language. Extra bonus points if that's French, German, Spanish, Dutch or Chinese.
- You have excellent written communication skills
- You're compassionate, and understand that all our users are amazing, even if they currently think you're an asshole
- You're not afraid of wearing multiple hats, and getting your hands dirty in different areas of the business
- You thrive on feedback, positive and negative, and are constantly working to be the best you can be
- You're happiest (and preferably have experience in) working remotely. Bonus points if you love to travel.
- You have right to work in the UK (if you want to be officially employed) or you live literally anywhere else and are happy taking care of your own taxes (you'll be retained as a full-time consultant)
- You have a personality and you're not afraid to show it. 🦄✨
- You have experience in at least some of the technologies we use at HelpDocs, and are interested in learning the rest
- You're a voracious learner always trying to learn more to more effectively do your job
- You're comfortable asking for help and being humble when you don't know something
- You enjoy working in a fast-paced development environment, where new features are planned and shipped in hours not quarters
- You'll be working directly with the founders (we're pretty awesome, so that's a perk 😇).
- We're bootstrapped, profitable and remote. You'll get to learn how all that works.
- Transparent internal metrics and goals. We'll share (nearly) everything with you from day 1.
- The whole team is friendly, approachable, and inclusive to all.
- 1-2 team retreats a year. We're currently planning our third team retreat to Bangkok in June. Our last retreat was Panama in November.
- We'll provide whatever software or equipment you need to do your job successfully
- Flexible vacation policy. Technically we offer 28 days to all employees, but we're not counting. If you need time, take it. Then come back and do great work. 💪
If you're amazing at the role, there's room to grow in your existing role, in Development in general, or move to another role entirely. We're pretty flexible.
We're looking for someone to start as soon as possible. If you're a good fit we'll get back to you within a few weeks to schedule a chat on Slack (or team chat software).