Smile is the largest provider of rewards programs in the world. We reward tens of millions of people every year, and power rewards programs for thousands of businesses around the world.
The engineering team at Smile.io believes in being proud of your code, owning what you ship, and embracing new tools to increase developer happiness. We believe small, empowered teams can ship products with the highest impact. We are remote-first, with engineers on our team working from home offices in Romania, Cyprus, New Orleans and more! We embrace open source and love to contribute. Tell us where you'd like to work when you apply!
As a Full Stack Developer, you'll be building features across the stack, taking the time to improve the architecture and share knowledge with those around you. Building sustainable, scalable software from backend services to front end.
- Design, build and maintain APIs, services and systems
- Build intuitive web applications using modern web frameworks
- Build new features for internal and external users
- Handle escalations from merchant support requests
- Participate in the product development process from start to finish, from helping scope projects to measuring their success and iterating based on feedback
- Work in cross functional teams with designers, product managers, and engineers
We currently power over 40,000 rewards programs, reaching more than 50 million customers, and serving 100k API requests / hour. Our primary deployment languages are Ruby on Rails, React & Ember.js, but as a team we enjoy learning new languages and technologies - so this list could change! We use Github, Slack, and CircleCI to communicate efficiently and ship code every day.
You're a developer who gets excited about turning ideas into reliable production code. You appreciate clear code that can be understood by others (and yourself!) 6 months down the line. You enjoy collaborating with other developers, and get excited about thousands of people experiencing a feature you shipped just minutes ago. You thrive on fast feedback loops & iterative development cycles. You've got experience developing robust features for scale at pace.
What we’re seeking:
- 3+ years technical experience in software development
- A capable engineer, with previous background building web or mobile applications
- Experienced in full stack development and software architecture patterns, able to understand how a wide variety of technologies and systems interact with each other
- The ability to build software systems given a set of technical designs
- An ability to adapt to changing priorities. We move quickly but deliberately.
Traits or experience we’d love to see (you don’t need them all to apply):
- Comfortable writing code in a few of Smile’s primary deployment languages (Ruby on Rails, Ember.js, React) and enjoys learning new languages and technologies
- Knowledge of secure coding practices and test driven development approach
- Interested in solving open ended business problems with a combination of technology and creative thinking
What's it like to work at Smile.io?
We are a team of smart self-starters who build efficient and unique solutions to problems. You’ll be working with some amazing talent and you'll constantly be pushed to challenge yourself and improve your skills. This starts in the interview process, where you’ll be asked to show us your skills in real-time. It’s not an easy process, but we think you’ll find it rewarding and a great preview to what working here is really like.
As a team, we’re driven by these core values:
Be Humble - think of the team before thinking of yourself. We have no room for massive egos.
Be Hungry - set hard goals, ask lots of questions and learn every day.
Be Human - show empathy towards others, consider the impact of your decisions on other teams.
We know that Smile.io as a business is in constant evolution - the same is true of our people. We’re here to support each other in our growth, so we talk openly about our career goals, hopes & dreams. With such a diverse team of people, we know we can offer you the mentorship, tools and encouragement you need to grow.