Posted 3 months ago
Head of Engineering Job Description
Ensemble is a seed stage start-up hiring for a Head of Engineering to join our leadership team. This is a unique opportunity to come in at the ground floor of a well funded start-up with top-tier VCs (Lerer Hippeau, Citi Ventures, TTV Capital, etc.) and be an integral part of the company's success.
Ensemble is on a mission to improve the lives of co-parents and create happier homes for the next generation. Our first product is an app that helps divorced and separated co-parents to track and manage shared expenses for their children more easily. The app solves an acute pain point for the 50M+ divorced parents who currently send text messages and spreadsheets back and forth each month to track shared expenses for their children that fall outside of child support payments (medical expenses, extracurriculars, etc.). Using Ensemble, co-parents can streamline the often tense communication about finances, quickly share past or future expenses, upload receipts, view a clear balance of who owes who, and export spending records for court documentation.
We are looking for a driven and impact-seeking leader to lead an engineering team and shape the technical vision of our long term strategy. You'll be working hand-in-hand with the CEO on the growth of the business and be given a ton of ownership to execute on our vision.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Recruit, motivate, and manage an engineering team as we grow.
- Build a strong and supportive culture within the team, enabling engineers to grow and develop in a fast-paced, collaborative, and mission driven environment.
- Partner closely with product, design, and growth to execute on our roadmap.
- Oversee the successful launch of new features and FinTech products (ex. payment integrations, shared credit cards, etc.)
- Ensure the app is built for scale and can meet our aggressive growth milestones.
- Represent the engineering perspectives and priorities to leadership by continuously communicating timelines, scopes, and risks to the technical roadmap.
- 7+ years of hands-on software development experience (at least a few years of FinTech experience is ideal).
- 2+ years in a leadership role responsible for hiring and managing a technical team, ideally in a start-up environment and with experience managing remote teams.
- You are well versed and experienced in modern tech stacks, and can oversee front-end, back-end, and mobile app development teams.
- Deep familiarity with the ecosystem of third party financial platforms and systems (ideally you've participated actively in developing or integrating with solutions to support in-app payments, credit cards, etc.).
- Can propose tradeoffs and provide risk assessments to stakeholders.
- Self-directed, comfortable making strategic decisions without all the answers, and eager to achieve results in a fast paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Ownership is in your DNA, you're eager to join something you believe in and approach it with a builder's mindset.
- Excellent communication skills with a natural ability to flow between business and tech conversations and engage with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Empathy and compassion for the difficult situations many of our users are going through and a passion for improving their experience through the divorce and separation process.
This role is open to remote candidates in the United States, the ideal candidate would be based in Los Angeles or otherwise willing to consider relocating at some point.