Posted 11 months ago
Mozilla is hiring a Head of Product Design for our Emerging Technologies Organization. Emerging Technologies is Mozilla’s early Research and Development (R&D) Organization, focused on early stage product discovery and experimentation within the areas of Mixed Reality; Voice Assistants & Speech; Internet of Things (IoT), and other explorations; as well as Developer Tools, Knowledge and Community, including Mozilla Developer Network (MDN) Web Docs.
We're looking for a passionate and creative design leader with experience growing, managing and championing the product design function within an organization together with early product management. You will provide a vision for how design can shape early product development with new technologies and form factors, establish processes and practices for realizing that vision, and set a bar for quality.
In this role you will be at a focal point for shaping the internet and new technologies toward a global public resource, open and accessible to all.
Day to day you will...
- Drive tactical goals of the organization across all facets of user-centered design to ensure development teams think in terms of people’s experiences, not just technologies.
- Ensure new product and technical explorations have a deep understanding of how people might use them and are grounded in the delivery of user values.
- Oversee and participate in the design process, from concept and strategy, to wireframing, prototyping, user testing and final execution.
- Work closely with product and engineering teams to assess the fit of product strategy and design within Mozilla’s overall organizational strategy, product portfolio, and technology capabilities. Ensure alignment across the organization for product discovery, delivery and iteration.
- Define, implement, and coach teams on best practices and Lean Startup-style rapid learning, and evangelise design thinking within the organization.
- Consistently test ideas with targeted, well-executed research & user-testing throughout the process. Instill a culture of continuous discovery.
- Drive strategic goals of the organization through design thinking
- Partner with engineers, product managers, researchers and other stakeholders to ensure new products have a vision and strategy aligning user needs with business objectives.
- Provide UX, design and project scoping and definition for new projects.
- Advocate the role of design throughout the organization by educating and advocating user-centered design best practices and highlighting its ability to create successful outcomes.
- Collaborate across Mozilla to ensure effective outcomes and rich learning as product and technical explorations mature.
- Manage and grow a team
- Set clear goals and manage project loads to ensure deadlines are met and team members are set up for overall success.
- Manage a blended team of staff, contractors, and vendor design resources
- Prioritize design efforts amongst multiple projects.
- Guide the team to develop best practices for ensuring a high bar of quality.
- Develop team members as design practitioners.
- Establish unified design tools, frameworks, and processes for early product explorations.
- Hire and build a great team, attracting & growing world-class talent and be accountable for the development of team members by helping them set and achieve goals for their career growth.
- Foster an inclusive environment that values differences and creates a sense of belonging and appreciation for team members.
- Lead by example by demonstrating ethics and high accountability and actively drive the process of embedding Mozilla’s values in the design of products. Create a culture of trust and transparency.
Your professional profile...
- 10+ years of experience in product, interaction and/or UX design.
- 5+ years of experience building teams; hiring, managing, and mentoring designers and product managers.
- Experience coordinating, directing, and guiding the work of other designers on your team.
- Bonus if you’ve done the same for product managers
- Experience with remote-first teams.
- A track record of design in new product development, R&D, product management.
- Experience developing product design processes.
- Knowledge of design thinking processes and user research methodologies and when to apply them.
- You are flexible and efficient – comfortable with ambiguity and exercising a balance between inspiration, bias, and rigorous research in order to move quickly from planning to conducting a project, synthesizing insights, and informing opportunities.
- Provide an online portfolio that exhibits detailed design thinking and problem-solving in regards to the overall user experience.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.