Posted 7 months ago
Infrastructure / DevOps EngineerEngineering
The data volume for our largest customers has increased more than 4x in the last year, and we’re scaling Heap to meet the demand. Our backend supports an expressive set of queries that need to come back with sub-second latencies and reflect up-to-the-minute data. To make this possible, we’re working on a novel distributed infrastructure.
We’re looking to bring on an Infrastructure Engineer to lead the DevOps side of this challenge. Help us de-risk our stack, add more 9s to our availability, and incorporate open source tooling.
You’ll own the design and development of our DevOps toolchain. You’ll build deploy pipelines and manage configurations. You’ll set up performance metrics and act on them to scale a complex distributed system.
We’re looking for stronger software engineering skills than a typical DevOps role requires. This is a building role, which happens to focus on stability, operability, and tooling, not an ops role. You’ll need to be able to understand our codebase and debug issues as they come up. Some example projects:
- Determine how we'll do service discovery and incorporate it into a codebase that assumes static locations for services.
- Figure out how we’ll package our code and deploy it from test → stage → production, and eventually eliminate manual deploys on production machines.
- Where will new instances come from? Pre-baked AMIs? Terraform with vanilla images and a bunch of salt? Containers? Something else?
- Determine how we’ll monitor, backup, and otherwise operate our Kafka cluster.
- Much, much more.
We’d like to get to know you if:
- You have experience with modern DevOps tooling - infrastructure as code, configuration management, CI pipelines, package managers - we need someone who has deep knowledge of the full DevOps ecosystem.
- You communicate with clarity and precision. We care about this almost as much as your technical ability.
- You’re self-directed with a strong sense for relative priority. There is low-hanging fruit everywhere. We need someone who has a good sense for which projects will have the most impact.
- You have experience with AWS, especially EC2, VPC, and ELB.
- (Bonus) You have experience with our stack. Heap runs on Kafka, ZooKeeper, PostgreSQL, Redis, and Node.js, with Terraform, SaltStack, and CircleCI for orchestration, configuration, and continuous integration.
Our HQ is in SF, and we have an office in New York, but a large part of our engineering team is remote. We cover relocation costs, and can sponsor visas. We'd love to hear from you, no matter where you are!
Heap has raised $40M in funding from NEA, Y Combinator, Menlo Ventures, SVAngel, Sam Altman, Garry Tan, Alexis Ohanian, Harj Taggar, Ram Shriram, and others.
People are what make Heap awesome. Regardless of age, education, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or any personal characteristics, we want everyone to feel welcome. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive equal opportunity workplace everyone can call home.