We're looking for someone who loves helping people solve tricky technical problems. If you love interacting with people on a daily basis to help them learn how to optimize their work then read on…
Trainers raise the bar for anyone who does support at Zapier. They directly impact customer champions’ lifetime happiness, efficiency, and retention, and they evangelize support best practices to all-hands support trainees. The Trainer’s primary function is to onboard new Customer Champions, to ensure they understand the knowledge and processes required for the role, and to identify and remediate problem areas or gaps in understanding. This role is well-suited to individuals who have extensive experience training, whose Zapier troubleshooting knowledge has both depth and breadth, and who enjoy improving Zapier support by levelling up their teammates.
A fully onboarded Support Trainer (someone who has been in the role for 6-12 months) should be capable of:
- Meeting all the capabilities and fulfilling the responsibilities of a Customer Champion.
- Consistently handling the prescribed volume of training. Trainees may be both Customer Champions and new employees learning all-hands support. As part of this capability, they should show exemplary empathy to both users and trainees, and maintain high marks on their trainer evaluations.
- Is a support knowledge resource, including answering questions asked asynchronously and following up when an answer requires digging, providing empathetic feedback to trainees, and consistently modeling and helping trainees apply Zapier best practices.
- Demonstrating, with accuracy and clarity, advanced Zapier concepts and techniques while training.
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. We hope you'll take the leap of faith and apply.
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
You're empathetic to users and can easily put yourself in their shoes.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
You realize that not everyone has the same skill set and that smart people sometimes make mistakes. You make customers feel empowered after interacting with support and not stupid because of a small mistake.
You obsess over the details.
Maybe you have a one emoticon and one exclamation point rule of thumb for every email. Maybe it's only two sentences per paragraph. Either way, you make sure each word and each punctuation mark makes the customer delighted to work with you.
You love teaching.
Getting someone to that “aha!” moment is the favorite part of your day and you’ve got the patience to help anyone get across that line.
You believe in growth through feedback.
Our trainers are responsible for shepherding Customer Champions through an intensive training process that relies on clear and consistent feedback.
You love to write.
Almost everything at Zapier is done via written communication (both with customers and between teammates).
Support at Zapier is much different than at many software companies. It's not the same questions over and over again, and often involves researching technical nuances of the apps we support. You love the opportunity to solve new problems every day and won't give up when you don't know the answer right away.
You love doing things efficiently.
At Zapier, the work you do will have a disproportionate impact on the business. We believe in systems and processes that let us scale our impact to be larger than ourselves.
You love to set your own course.
At Zapier, we have quick team meetings each week and one-on-one meetings every month and then we go make things happen. You get to make things happen without someone saying so.
We believe giving the best support to our customers is important.
For that reason, we only consider candidates who want to dedicate at least the next year or two to giving great support to Zapier customers.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a small, fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you'll probably do:
Experience and Requirements
- Multiple training sessions with Customer Champions and other Zapier employees each day.
- Flexing your work day to accommodate trainings in APAC/EMEA.
- Write training content for colleagues, users and partners.
- Recording instructional videos for other trainers, users and colleagues.
- Work with the broader support team to help schedule training sessions and refresher courses.
- Shadowing training sessions around the organization to provide feedback and support.
- Answering customer questions in the queue to demonstrate our support values in action.
- Experiment: this is a startup so everything can change
Strong Understanding of Zapier Relevant Technology
- Desired 3-5 years experience in support, working with APIs or SaaS industry.
- Desired 1-3 years experience with internal training in a SaaS environment.
- Ability to work independently effectively without supervision.
- Ability to multitask and keep up with important team and organizational updates while maintaining day-to-day responsibilities.
- Decision-making and leadership skills.
Technical Troubleshooting and Familiarity of SaaS Apps
- Ability to confidently and accurately explain how deduplication works and to identify common failures of deduplication.
- Ability to use and to explain webhooks, HTTP calls, and Graylog with expertise.
- Strong familiarity with and knowledge of APIs.
- Ability to create a Zapier dev app.
- Ability to apply understanding of an app category to solve problems without needing to login to a test account to see it. (For example, being able to apply knowledge of existing CRMs to debug an issue with a new CRM they’ve not yet seen.)
- Ability to confidently use internal logging tools to single out wider issues and debug common problems.
- Ability to support advanced apps like SQL (and other database tools) on a regular basis/
- Familiarity with multiple popular SaaS apps.
: The Support Trainer will report to the Enablements manager.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
For the past six years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: Asia & Pacific, US Pacific, or EMEA timezones - 100% Remote
If you want to work remote, that's great. If you want to work near others, that's cool too. Our team of 170+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
However, due to the unique needs of support, we do hire with coverage for specific timezones in mind. Generally speaking, this means that we count on new teammates to work from the timezone they're hired in. As with every rule, there are absolutely exceptions and flexibilities, and advance notice of long-term timezone changes goes a long way! If you have any questions on this at all, we'd be happy to discuss the specifics of your situation during the interview process.
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-based employees.
Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.