Posted over 1 year ago
We're seeking a Managing Editor to oversee our blog on productivity at work and our App Directory's editorial content (example), covering the best tools for work. In this role, you'll serve a readership of more than 1.25 million monthly visitors and 3 million Zapier product users.
You'll manage a team of three writers on staff, take responsibility for executing and evolving our editorial strategy, and oversee day-to-day operations of the content production. You'll work closely with our product team, too, as they build out new pages and redesign existing pages that better serve our readers' needs.
If you're excited about growing a publication and library of content that helps people be more productive at workthe Zapier missionand you're passionate about growing writers' careers, you'll thrive in this role.
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier.
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.About You
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Things You Might Do
- Growing writers' careers is top priority. You have experience leveling up writers' work, performance, and career growth.
- You have at least five years of experience overseeing an editorial strategy, publishing calendar, and day-to-day team operations that have yielded traffic growth from your site's target audience.
- Software and online tools are a professional interest. You're excited to explore new services like Coda.io, set up your first workflow in Airtable, or investigate Mattermost.
- Productivity at work is a priority. You are driven to be efficient and effective in your job and are eager to help your audience do the same.
- You're familiar with SEO best practices. You're eager to dig into data that helps you plan new pieces and expand existing content.
- You're a team player. You realize that the work you do contributes to the marketing team's goals and company's mission: to help everyone be more productive at work.
Zapier is a fast-growing company, so you'll get experience with a little bit of everything. That said, here are some things you'll do:
- Execute and evolve the Zapier Blog and App Directory editorial strategy
- Manage three writers on staff
- Recruit and oversee freelance writers for our blog and directory
- Oversee production schedules, editorial calendars, and story generation for our blog and app directory
- Plan, assign, and edit content for our blog and app directory
- Write content for our blog and app directory
- Put SEO best practices to work, including keyword research and tracking
- Promote editorial content in our email newsletters, on social, and on other channels
- Oversee our syndication program of publishing our content elsewhere, and do the same for guest authors on our blog
- As part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers have the best possible experience with Zapier
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
For the past six years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.The Whole Package
Our team of 200+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, and Australia. You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies.
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-based employees.
Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.