Mobilization Manager and Rapid Response Campaigner (Remote, temp to March 2021)
Full-time •Temporary (July 2020-March 2021)• Competitive Pay • Excellent Benefits • Work From Anywhere in the Continental U.S.
Apply here: https://grnh.se/26b0ae5b1us
Application deadline July 6, 2020 at 12pm ET
MoveOn is a diverse and vibrant community of millions of people working together to create progressive change in America. We are an innovative campaigning organization that supports people throughout the country to take action through driving impactful campaigns that influence the behavior of people and institutions, shape the outcomes of elections, and expand the realities of what’s possible. We organize to challenge entrenched power, while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice and a vision of a country in which everyone can thrive.
MoveOn has a particularly important role to play in the Trump era. We are working to defeat Donald Trump and the GOP in 2020 by building a powerful, multiracial, and economic populistmovement that will give voters something to vote for, not just against—and we're also working to defend communities that are on the front lines of Trump and GOP attacks, including immigrants, people of color, the LGBTQ community, and women. In service of that mission, in 2020 and beyond, MoveOn will drive impactful, movement-connected, multichannel, nimble campaigns aimed at impact.
We are looking for a highly motivated and team-oriented Mobilization Manager to oversee large-scale grassroots-led national days of action to maximize impact on our priority campaigns through March 2021. Over the past year, these included people-powered mobilizations #CloseTheCamps protests in July 2019, Impeachment Eve protests in December 2019, rallies against war with Iran in January 2020, and, during the pandemic, the #RealReliefNow Twitter Rally in May 2020. In between national days of action, this role provides rapid-response support across issues, using digital and in-person tactics to seize moments in advocacy and elections work.
- The Mobilization Manager is the principal project manager of MoveOn’s signature national days of action on priority issue campaigns. This means using internal guidelines for how MoveOn mobilizes to manage national days of action where hundreds or thousands of volunteers lead local actions where they live at the same time. It includes coordinating daily or frequent stand-up calls, providing written updates on Slack and email, shepherding multiple teams across the organization, supporting fellow project team members to accomplish their roles, and debriefing mobilizations and working with teams across the organization to apply the lessons learned.
- Ensure that mobilizations lead with principles and practices of anti-racism, accessibility, and equity.
- Contribute to the development of sound strategy and creative tactics for mobilizations and the campaigns they serve, including further developing mass-distributed online actions such as Twitter rallies in partnership with MoveOn’s Social and Campaigns teams
- Draft content and shepherd through feedback and approval processes, including website copy, emails, text messages, and social media copy to promote events.
- Between mobilizations, play a role in MoveOn’s rapid-response campaigning, driving and supporting actions and interventions that take place at opportunistic moments, where work over a 24- to 96-hour period could generate a variety of tactics, including MoveOn member actions to make progressive impact.
Required Skills and Experience
- Familiarity with the tools and tactics used for rapid-response campaigning opportunities and experience driving short-term tactics that have moved campaign targets, earned media, or impacted narrative.
- Strong equity analysis and demonstrated understanding of, commitment to, and prioritization of racial and social justice, and experience working effectively with people with different identities and with different constituencies.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong written communications skills in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills. Must be able to engage effectively with MoveOn colleagues, volunteers, members, and external audiences, including via traditional and social media.
- Experience playing a significant role in executing coordinated days of action, which include multiple events in multiple places, using a variety of communication and technology tools.
- Self-directedness. MoveOn is a virtual office, and while you will interact with your colleagues constantly, you will be driving your own workflow and output. Excellent personal organization and time management skills are key.
- Ability to learn MoveOn's suite of organizing technology (Facebook groups, Spoke, ActionKit, and Slack).
Reports to: Director of Campaign Coordination
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the continental United States. May require occasional travel.
Classification, Salary, and Benefits: Full-time, competitive salary including benefits such as 100%-employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for all staff and their children; 401(k) plan with employer contributionafter 6 months; employer-paid premiums for life insurance; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year, prorated for the period that you work; 18 weeks of paid parental leave (birth, adoption, foster care placement of a child), 10 days accrued paid sick time prorated for the period that you work, and paid family medical leave; staff holidays, professional development budget of $1,000, monthly cell phone and internet reimbursement of $175 per month, home office subsidy, and everything needed for a home office.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.