Posted about 1 year ago
Come work within the Technology department at the Wikimedia Foundation! We are administering a public OpenStack cloud (Infrastructure as a Service) with a modern Platform as a Service (Kubernetes) running on it. We are dedicated to supporting developers within and outside of the Wikimedia Foundation. Candidates need to be comfortable sharing ideas, providing guidance, following instructions, mentoring volunteers, and communicating in public and asynchronous ways (mailing lists/forums/irc). Our team works remotely and so can you!
- Perform day-to-day operational tasks on Wikimedia’s Cloud Services infrastructure (deployment, maintenance, configuration, troubleshooting)
- Support volunteer and staff developers using Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS) products
- Assist in the architectural design of new services and making them operate at scale
- Assist in or lead incident response, diagnosis and followup on system outages or alerts across our stack
- On-call support and off-hours coverage in a 24x7 environment
- Mid to senior level engineering mindset and experience in Linux ecosystems
- Experience offering first line technical support to peers and/or customers
- Solid development history with interpreted languages (Python preferred)
- Capable of explaining the basic operations of TCP/IP networks
- Experience operating an elastic computing environment for customers (OpenStack, Cloudstack, ...)
- Experience running Docker and/or container technologies in a production environment
- Demonstrable experience developing and debugging web applications
- Experience using a configuration management platform such as Puppet
- Strong verbal and written proficiency with the English language
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
- Experience interacting with open source software projects and communities
- Experience with Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, Mesos, or similar container orchestration platforms
- Experience with Golang
- Ceph or other storage management experience
- Low level systems troubleshooting and debugging skills (CPU/memory profiling, C/C++ experience, in-depth Linux knowledge)
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
Wikimedia Foundation website
Wikimedia Foundation blog
Annual Report - 2017