No inquiries from agencies or recruiters, please.
Due to continued business growth this is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced and talented PostgreSQL DevOps Engineer or DBA with strong hands on DBA level experience with PostgreSQL to join our team.
We are looking for a PostgreSQL expert to enhance and complement our teams capabilities and you will be part of a fast-paced, innovative startup working with a great team looking after critical systems leveraging best of breed technologies across a variety of infrastructures.
You must have experience of architecting for high availability, deploying, securing, tuning and administering multi-DC deployments of PostgreSQL with Patroni.
Our business involves managing data platforms architected to store large volumes of data, be highly available and deployed across distributed infrastructures. We provide expertise in technologies such as Apache Kafka, Apache Cassandra, Apache Spark, PostgreSQL, Kubernetes, AWS, Google Cloud and a variety of complementary technologies.
Our approach to engineering is to automate and instrument all aspects of deploying and managing these systems to provide a 24x7 always on deployment. Although the primary skill for this role is PostgreSQL, there will be the opportunity to learn and work with a wide variety of other technologies and platforms.
Automation and configuration management is critical to how we work and engineer our systems - this role will require developing and enhancing our automation on a daily basis. It’s great if you have this experience already, but if you don’t we will help you learn it.
The role focuses on managing our client’s data platforms by providing high quality services and keeping the lights on. The engineer will be working with a team looking after a variety of customers from social media platforms to banking systems. The role will require on-call out of business hours support on a rota basis to deal with issues with customer's environments and support internal systems.
This role is remote, based in Europe and involves working with a team that is distributed across Europe. The candidate must be comfortable working remotely, and communicating over instant messenger, slack etc.. and video communications.
Location: Europe, Working Remotely.
- PostgreSQL (3+ years) - in-depth, operational and DBA knowledge of PostgreSQL.
- You will have deployed, tuned, documented and managed PostgreSQL clusters in a production setting.
- Have hands-on experience deploying and administering PostgreSQL in a multi-DC/multi-Region environment.
- Hands on experience with Patroni
- In-depth knowledge of how to monitor, alert and analyse performance metrics for PostgreSQL
- An in depth understanding of how to secure deployments of PostgreSQL including encrypting data in-flight and at-rest
- Implement best practices on PostgreSQL Databases and Servers
- Ensure that appropriate maintenance is automated, monitored and in place - including backups, index maintenance, and routine vacuuming
- Keep up to date with new releases of PostgreSQL and advise customers and the team of the aspects that pertain to them
- Continue to learn new skills involved in being a PostgreSQL expert as technology evolves and sharing knowledge amongst the team
- Perform root cause analysis on operational issues and be able to interpret and diagnose issues with clusters and servers via PostgreSQL metrics, OS metrics and logs.
- Define and tune rules for alerting on issues in managed clusters.
- Knowledge and experience with running Linux infrastructure.
- Good understanding of networking technologies including TCP/IP fundamentals, load balancing technologies and principles, DNS, DHCP, routing etc.
- Solid understanding of security and complementary technologies e.g. VPN, LDAP, SSL etc…
- Monitoring and alerting systems such as Prometheus, Grafana, Kibana, Nagios, Splunk, Datadog or similar
- Strong scripting skills - BASH, Python, Ruby, or Perl
- PostgreSQL will not be the only technology you work with so candidates need to be excited and passionate about learning new technologies such as Apache Cassandra, Apache Kafka and Kubernetes.
- Configuration management Technologies such as Puppet, Chef but preferably Ansible (we use Ansible)
- Exposure to AWS, GCP etc..
- All candidates must have a Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science or a related discipline.