Posted about 1 year ago
Job DescriptionAbout Toptal
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a Product Manager, you will work in Toptal’s Brand team, specifically owning the launch and optimization of a new staffing publication that will drive significant impact for our company as a thought leader. We are approaching this as if it’s a startup within our organization and are looking for a self-starting, entrepreneurial person to lead this important initiative.
You will work closely with different parts of the organization, including Publications, Growth, SEO, Content Strategy, Analytics, Paid Media, Enterprise, etc. - as well as Design and Engineering teams, to conceive, manage, execute, and optimize the site over time. You should see yourself as an intrapreneur who makes thing happen.
The role would suit someone with at least 5+ years of project and product management experience, particularly with experience moving from ideation through launch and beyond of a premium online publication.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
- Ultimately, success is measured by the successful launch of this new publication, regularly publishing thought leadership and attracting new readers via organic traffic and engagement on the site.
- Working closely with the Brand, SEO, and Engineering leads as a trustworthy partner who will fully own all necessary projects from start to finish.
- Build successful partnerships with all the teams and freelancers who will be involved in the project. Success starts with trust.
- Perform analysis to determine the viability of new updates, as well as post-implementation success measurement on the site.
- Effectively use data and analytics to support strategic and tactical initiatives and the creation of project plans.
- Be in tight communication with team members via Slack.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Meet with the teams and people you will have long-term working relationships with.
- Work closely with the Director of SEO to get a fundamental understanding of the teams, product, and business operations.
- Work closely with the SEO team to dive deep into our history, assets, roadmap, and opportunities for this site.
- Independently start to study and learn the Toptal platform and product suite.
In the first month you will:
- Take ownership of this product initiative, which will be in it’s initial concepting phase.
- Work with the VP of Brand Marketing to establish a project plan for the site.
- Dive into how we do SEO research to take some of the steps yourself. We only hire hands-on leaders.
In the first three months you will:
- Act as the POC/Owner of this initiative, coordinating the efforts from multiple teams while ensuring a fluid and direct communication with your manager, the VP of Brand Marketing.
- You will take the overall product to the next level. Whatever we initially thought was the best way to do things, you will reshape. We expect you to challenge how we do things to arrive at the best possible outcome.
In the first six months you will:
- Be able to show significant progress - and ideally deployment for the new site. We want you to be able to show our CEO how much you have achieved in six months.
- Begin to take ownership of several other thought leadership blogs that will launch in 2019/2020.
In the first year you will:
- Be a success story in the Brand Marketing team. You will be able to show concrete impact thanks to your project.
- Launch other ambitious blogs, partnering with the Publications team.
- 5+ years experience as a product (and project) manager.
- You have owned the development and delivery of a new publication, from initial concepting through launch and beyond.
- Obsession for quality. Toptal has a very high bar for quality and so should you.
- Proactive. This is a remote position which requires self-starters. No one will monitor if you’re working, but you will be expected to consistently contribute value and deliver on assignments.
- Autonomous. You will have support and direction, but you will also be able to know how to self-manage your own time, prioritizing the projects you have and knowing when to seek clarity on what is most important or urgent. You will be responsible for guiding the team through the initiative while owning and executing day-to-day.
- Strong expertise in both SEO and branding.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. We are a remote company, so this aspect is critical.
- Demonstrated interest in SEO. You can talk us through a number of approaches and tools for SEO. Moreover, we want to hear your prior SEO success stories.
- Comfortable with a high-paced, and often rapidly changing, environment with a strong emphasis on individual contributions and execution excellence.
- Curious. You are curious about how things work and why. You are not satisfied with a superficial knowledge of how something works or why users take a certain action.
- Top notch analytics skills. You are very comfortable with Google Analytics. You can also use Tableau.
- Proven experience building high-quality outreach strategies for SEO.
- You have worked with engineering teams and have written user stories or specification documents for them.
- You have worked with designers and know how to get the best from them; knowing when to provide a tight brief vs. when to give them more creative space.
- Knowledge of online marketing and web best practices. You will have the opportunity to, and be expected to, contribute ideas for new initiatives and experiments aligned to modern best practice digital marketing.
- Knowledge of user research. When you have a question or hypothesis, your reaction is analysis. You know when to use quantitative vs. qualitative research, or both together. You may have performed user interviews in the past or set up UX tests as experiments to get the answer you need.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.