Salary: $110,000 - $160,000
At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers. Whether we’re helping developers get public answers to their questions, work more efficiently with their team, or find a new job, we build products that make millions of developers’ lives better every day. We’re looking for a Product Manager to join our team, working on our flagship public Q&A product. http://stackoverflow.com/
Stack Overflow Q&A today has over 17 million question and answer pairs, sees 50 million unique visitors a month, and has been visited over 12 billion times in the past decade. You’ll be leading one of the largest, most engaging products on the internet. While we’re proud of how far we’ve come, we need your help to make Stack Overflow an attractive community for the next 10 million developers. You’ll have a broad mandate from new user onboarding, acquisition, and core Q&A functionality to user privileges, reputation, moderator tools and much more.
You’ll have the opportunity to do a lot. You can expect during your first year:
First Month: Get onboarded and brought up to speed on our current plans. You’ll spend a lot of time learning about our products, building rapport with the product, engineering, marketing, and community teams, and contributing to small features.
Next 3 Months: Acquire a deep understanding through past and new user research of the biggest opportunities to serve different segments of our users. This will include specific focus on improving the experience for highly active users and moderators, providing high quality tools and features they need to contribute to Stack Overflow in a meaningful way. You’ll build prototypes, talk with users, write specs and pitch projects to your team and the company.
Next 8 months: You can expect to start taking a leadership role developing the long term roadmap for the public Q&A sites. You’ll be involved not just in product development, but in defining long term strategy, improving our processes, and advocating for all developers that use Stack Overflow.
We like to work in public. Not only does that mean being open within the company about what the product team is building, we also try and bring the developer community in as soon as we’re able. Here are some examples of how we have done this historically:
We’re looking to hire the best person wherever you are in the world. We work remotely so you can work from home and interact with the team over Google Hangouts and chat, usually during US or European working hours. We have offices in New York, London and Munich, so if you’re in (or want to relocate to) one of those cities you can, and our offices are awesome.
Skills & Requirements:
What you’ll do:
- Help set the product strategy for the public Q&A sites, and lead the team that is executing on that strategy
- Contribute to detailed user research and customer segmentation to understand the core issues developers care about and core issues that cause them not to contribute
- Propose new products and features and pitch them to the company and community
- Start with high-level goals and turn them into detailed functional specs, and work with developers and designers to create rapid prototypes
- Define and monitor metrics to determine the effectiveness of features, and administer split tests to learn whether a change is an improvement
- Interact with our community of developers to gather ideas and feedback
- Support go-to-market strategies with the marketing and community teams
What we want to see:
- A track record of coming up with ideas for, building, and shipping web software
- Minimum of 4 years as a product manager/product owner
- A deep understanding of Stack Overflow and other Stack Exchange network sites
- Has worked on a community based product or participates in online communities
- Excellent spec-writing and UX skills
- An understanding of the technical implications of what you ask the team to do
- Excellent telecommuting skills. Even if you work from one of our offices, many of our team members are remote
- Experience with usability testing and A/B tests
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly through written word (whether that's meta or forum posts, specs, blogging, or anything else)
What we value:
Servant Leadership: The best managers lead by empowering and inspiring their team to do their best work.
Collaboration: The best products are created when people from different backgrounds and disciplines work closely together in an environment of respect and trust.
Transparency: Trust is built on openness and transparency. If there is not a good reason to keep it a secret, we share it. For example, we share our complete engineering salary formula.
Inclusion: We do our best work when we can be our whole selves at work. We’re committed to policies and benefits that support people, and managers who foster an open and inclusive culture.
When you apply... Please include an up-to-date resume, and a cover letter explaining why you’re interested in working at Stack Overflow.
What you’ll get in return:
- Ability to work remotely, with flexible hours
- 20 days paid vacation + holidays
- Completely free health insurance - no copay, no premiums (US residents)
- Generous parental leave (10-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If you want to work remotely…. We’ll help you set up a great home office, with an ergonomic chair, standing desk, and any other equipment you need to do your job.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll get your own private office in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world's developers. Our products and services are focused on developer marketing, technical recruiting, market research, and enterprise knowledge sharing.
We believe in hiring smart people and getting out of their way. We have an office in New York with some of the best amenities of any New York startup, and we have people who work remotely all over the world. We keep meetings and ceremony to an absolute minimum.
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.