Posted 9 months ago
Job DescriptionAbout Toptal
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a Product Manager, SEO, you will work in Toptal’s Growth team. You will specifically own the very top of our funnel, increasing quantity and quality of client prospect traffic to our website, toptal.com.
You will work closely with all parts of the growth team - SEO, paid media, analytics and vertical managers - as well as design and engineering teams, to conceive and execute growth initiatives and new product tests. In any given week, you may be working with the SEO and engineering teams to implement a new set of landing pages, executing SEO-driven tests on the Toptal site, or performing deep analysis on CTR user behavior from AB test results on SERPs.
The role would suit someone with at least 2 years of product management experience growing high-quality traffic for inbound-focused companies.
- Ultimately, success is growing quantity and quality of the traffic to our site.
- Working closely with the Director of SEO, Director of Paid Media, and the wider Growth team, to help execute on the company’s strategic initiatives with the engineering and design teams.
- Owning initiatives and independent user stories: being the person driving the initiative forward, executing and validating the impact of the initiative once released.
- Performing analysis to determine the viability of new initiatives, as well as post-implementation success measurement on released initiatives.
- Writing clear and comprehensive user stories for the engineering team, and ensuring work meets specifications.
- Using our analytics tools to dive into user behavior to find issues and opportunities which can be translated into a new initiative.
- Effectively use data and analytics to support strategic and tactical initiatives and the creation of the product roadmap.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Slack.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal - meet with the teams and people you will have long-term working relationships with.
- Work closely with the Growth Product Management team to get a fundamental understanding of the teams, product and business operations.
- Work closely with the SEO team to dive deep into our history, assets, roadmap, and unexplored opportunities that you will be able to lead.
- Independently start to study and learn the Toptal platform & product suite.
In the first month you will:
- Take ownership of independent stories and driving them to execution with the teams, validating they are delivered accurately, and measuring success.
- Work with the Growth Product Management team on the execution side of larger initiatives, ensuring designs meet requirements, and user stories are well defined and are delivered to specification.
- Start attending the relevant agile rituals such as planning, daily standups, and retros.
- Begin to dive into user behavior using our analytics tools and platforms to provide insight into the Growth team and Growth Product Management sub-team to inform the product roadmap.
In the first three months you will:
- Start to take ownership of strategic initiatives and driving them forward with the relevant stakeholders, coordinating design, engineering, and content where required.
- Contribute ideas for new experiments and initiatives for the product roadmap, focusing on business value.
- Continue to support the Growth team and the Growth Product Management sub-team on execution, validation, and success measurement of all initiatives.
In the first six months you will:
- Be able to demonstrate a clear measure of your impact through your ideas for new tests, and execution excellence.
In the first year you will:
- Drive significant impact on traffic-oriented projects that leverage cutting-edge technology and the latest thinking in growth-hacking and SEO.
- Scale your team and function, which could involve the hiring of associate product managers to support you to scale.
- Obsession for quality: Toptal has a very high bar for quality and so should you.
- Passion for growth: you love to read about SEO and growth hacking in general. If you call yourself a growth-nerd, extra points.
- Exceptional eye for detail: You will be responsible for writing user stories and ensuring what is developed meets spec. Therefore, you will care about the tiny details and be able to spot them.
- Proactive: this is a remote position which requires self-starters. No-one will monitor if you’re working but you will be expected to consistently contribute value and deliver on assignments.
- Autonomous: you will have support and direction, but you will also be able to know how to self-manage your own time, prioritizing the projects you have and knowing when to seek clarity on what is most important or urgent.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. We are a remote company so this goes without saying.
- Demonstrated interest in product management: you can talk us through a number of philosophies and frameworks because, if you haven’t used them, you’ve read about them.
- Experience with agile and lean startup: you know what they mean and may have worked in those environments. You are an advocate for them and can also explain why.
- Comfortable with a high-paced, and often rapidly changing environment, with a strong emphasis on individual contributions and execution excellence.
- Curious: you are curious in how things work and why. You are not satisfied with a superficial knowledge of how something works, or why users take a certain action.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of SEO best practice: we have SEO experts but you should know the foundations of SEO.
- Top notch analytics skills: you are very comfortable with Google Analytics as well as writing SQL queries. You can also use Tableau.
- Intermediate statistics: you know what statistical significance means, and when it matters. You know how to interpret p-values in AB tests.
- You have worked with engineering teams before and have written user stories or specification documents for them before.
- You have worked with designers before, and know how to get the best from them; when to provide a tight brief, versus when to give them more creative space.
- Knowledge of online marketing and web best practices: you will have the opportunity to, and be expected to, contribute ideas for new initiatives and experiments aligned to modern best practice digital marketing.
- Knowledge of user research: when you have a question or hypothesis, your reaction is analysis. You know when to use quantitative vs qualitative research or both together. You may have performed user interviews in the past or set up UX tests as experiments to get the answer you need.
You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.