At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers. Whether we’re helping developers get public answers to their questions, work more efficiently with their team, or find a new job, we build products that make millions of developers’ lives better every day. We’re looking for a Product Manager to join our team, working on our Talent product suite.
Stack Overflow today has over 17 million question and answer pairs, sees 50 million unique visitors a month, and has been visited over 12 billion times in the past decade. You’ll be leading the product team for Stack Overflow Talent which enables Stack Overflow's community in their careers, matching them with the best opportunities based on their needs, and provides companies with the right audience and knowhow so they can attract and retain the best technical talent.
You’ll have the opportunity to do a lot. Here’s what you can expect during your first year:
First Month: Get onboarded and brought up to speed on our current plans. You’ll spend a lot of time learning about our products, building rapport with the product, engineering, marketing, sales, and community teams, and contributing to small features.
Next 3 Months: Acquire a deep understanding of the biggest opportunities and pain points for our various user segments through past and new user research. This will include understanding the user journey for both job seekers and employers, expanding our product suite to better address their needs, and improving their overall experience on the platform. You’ll speak with users and customers, write specs, run experiments, and iterate on ideas with your team and stakeholders.
Next 8 months: You will take a leadership role developing the long-term roadmap for the Talent product team. You’ll be involved not just in product development, but in defining long-term strategy, improving our processes, and advocating for all job seekers and employers that use Stack Overflow.
We like to work in public. Not only does that mean being open within the company about what the product team is building, we also try and bring the developer community in as soon as we’re able. Here are some examples of how we have done this historically:
We’re looking to hire the best person wherever you are in the world. We work remotely so you can work from home and interact with the team over Google Meet and Slack, usually during US or European working hours. We have offices in New York, London, and Munich, so if you’re in one of those cities you can opt to work from the office or stop by for a visit – our offices are awesome!
What you’ll do:
- Partner with other PMs and key stakeholders to set the product strategy for Stack Overflow Talent, and lead a team to execute on that strategy
- Build the product roadmap, maintain a backlog of projects, and manage the priorities for the team
- Contribute to detailed user research and customer segmentation to understand the core issues that our users and customers care about
- Propose new products and features and pitch them to the company and community
- Start with high-level goals, turn them into detailed functional specs, and partner with developers and designers to iteratively ship features
- Define and monitor metrics to determine the effectiveness of features, and administer split tests to measure the overall impact
- Interact with our community of developers and our customers around the world to gather ideas and feedback
- Support go-to-market strategies with the marketing and community teams
What we want to see:
- A track record of coming up with ideas for, building, and shipping web software
- Minimum of 4 years as a product manager or an equivalent role
- Prior experience working in the technical recruitment industry is beneficial, but not required
- Excellent spec-writing and UX skills
- An understanding of the technical and design implications of what you ask the team to do
- Excellent telecommuting skills. Even if you work from one of our offices, many of our team members are remote
- Experience with usability testing and A/B tests
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly through written word (whether that's online posts, specs, blogging, or anything else)
If this job interests you but you aren’t certain if you meet all of the requirements, apply anyway!
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world's developers. Our products and services are focused on developer marketing, technical recruiting, and knowledge sharing.
We believe in hiring smart people and getting out of their way. We have an office in New York with some of the best amenities of any New York startup, and we have people who work remotely all over the world. We keep meetings and ceremony to an absolute minimum.
What we value:
Servant Leadership: We lead by empowering and inspiring people to do their best work, not by micromanaging. We hire smart people, set them up for success, then get out of their way.
Collaboration: The best products are created when people from different backgrounds and disciplines work closely together in an environment of respect and trust.
Transparency: Trust is built on openness and transparency. If there is not a good reason to keep it a secret, we share it.
Inclusion: We do our best work when we can be our whole selves at work. We’re committed to policies and benefits that support people, and leaders who foster an open and inclusive culture.
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.