Posted 10 months ago
*Before you start reading, keep in mind that the aim of this job ad is to give you a feel for what it’s like to work at Catapult. There’s lots of research that suggests people often don’t apply because of so-called “requirements” in a job description. If you’re an experienced React engineer with some commercial experience in either Ruby on Rails or Elixir + Phoenix, we’d like to hear from you!*
**What you’re getting yourself in for**
Our mission is to build the world’s best part time job. We spend our time thinking about how to give a global workforce complete control of their own work life while automating the hundreds of thousands of man hours which would normally be required to manage people on this scale.
We do this using React & Typescript on the frontend backed up by GraphQL servers, some written in Ruby and Rails and some in Elixir and Phoenix.
Businesses ranging from the largest high-street retailers to five star hotels and independent coffee boutiques rely on Catapult as their casual workforce. If you’ve spent time in a large UK city, you’ve probably been served by a Catapult waiter or sales assistant without even realising it!
We’re well funded by some amazing investors, our product is live in over 100 locations across the UK and we’ve recently launched in Berlin making us the first and only pan-european player in this space.
Our company values https://writing.joincatapult.com/our-values/ are really important to us and influence every facet of how we work together.
**About the role**
We’ve been growing rapidly over the last three years and as we continue our international roll out, we’re looking for ambitious engineers to help us build the future of work. Our engineering principles https://writing.joincatapult.com/engineering-principles/ give a good feel for how we work together and what we value.
We’re a distributed, remote first engineering organisation with team members in Prague, Warsaw, London, Bristol and Bangkok. We work in autonomous pods, each of which has ownership of one area of our business. We’re open to remote applicants from anywhere within the EU.
As well as being a part of a well funded startup at one of the most exciting phases of it’s growth, you’ll get:
* Competitive salary + stock options + 25 days paid holiday per year
* A strong approach to professional development and mentorship, everyone has a dedicated L&D budget for books, training and the like
* Several product retreats per year where the whole team goes on a team retreat, looks back on how we can improve and then spends a week or so hacking on new ideas and exploring new technologies
* Regular social events & the opportunity to travel to our other offices
* Company Macbook Pro which you’re free to take home
* A flexible work environment focussed on output not hours
**Things we’ve been working on recently**
No two days are ever the same in a startup, but to give you a flavour of what we’ve been up to recently:
* Standardising on React, Typescript and GraphQL across our suite of applications
* Using Kubernetes to automatically deploy standalone environments for our feature branches, complete with anonymised production data
* Applying machine learning to the billions of data points we generate each year to completely obsolete the interview process
* Preparing the entire Rails, Phoenix, React and React Native environment for Globalization
* Your real passion is for the front end, finding ways to deliver innovative, polished user experiences and you’re experienced supporting this by working in either Ruby & Rails or Elixir & Phoenix backends
* You’re excited about the potential technologies like GraphQL and Typescript have to speed up and improve the process of building complex client side applications
* You really buy into the importance of getting things into the hands of a user quickly and then iterating
* You actively think about when to incur technical debt and when to pay it back
* You like to explore new technologies and have a keen eye for when something new can add real business value
* You’ve probably spent most of your time over the last few years focussed on building React applications
* You’re in favour of, but pragmatic about, automated testing. You like all production grade code to have good test coverage but understand when it may make sense to test MVP’s with a lower degree of test coverage
* Bonus points for experience with Typescript / GraphQL
£50-80k depending on location and experience