Posted 9 months ago
REMOTE W/IN U.S.
At Medium, words matter. We’re building the best place for reading and writing on the internet — where thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas that are judged for the value they provide to readers, not attention they attract for advertisers.
We’re looking for a Senior Accountant (Level I) to be responsible for a few different things for us! This includes taking lead for our US royalties tax product, liaison for tax filings with external CPAs as well as tackling accounting for any new business lines. We believe that these functions play a vital role in Accounting.
Medium is growing quickly this year, and your contributions as Senior Accountant will be essential to our success. If you like challenges, you will be a phenomenal addition to Medium! We’re excited to see who joins us next. Will it be you?
What will you do?
Royalties Tax Product
- You will be responsible for gleaning all knowledge of the US-based royalty function and taking the lead on maintaining it. This is including but not limited to: tax document review, customer service, and partnering with Controller on annual tax form issuance.
- You will triage all customer service tickets as honorary member of User Happiness team.
- You will prepare monthly reporting regarding payments within the program to ensure we are ready to a) issue monthly tax payments, b) estimate trends and c) ensure end of year filings are set come January 1st.
- You will draft process documents to educate the internal and external accounting team as well as the customer happiness team and anyone else passionate about learning this fun topic!
- You will assist our Controller in taking lead on all supporting document preparation for external CPAs.
- You will handle tax payments with AP team and complete the proper GL entries for month end close.
- You will refresh the tax calendar and maintain it for on time filings and extensions.
- You will explore tax credits available including domestic R&D credits. If successfully identified, you will lead in partnering with all required parties to execute the credit successfully.
New Business Line Accounting
- You will assist our Controller in taking lead on new business line accounting. This include new contract abstraction for rev rec purposes, new systems implementation or even consolidation, as well as integration AP by partnering with AP Manager.
- You will assist the team with other month end close items including balance sheet reconciliation, pre-paid asset management, and ad hoc projects on an as needed basis.
Who are you?
- You have a BA or BS in Accounting plus at least five years of experience in the general accounting field. Emphasis on tax is preferred.
- You are customer service oriented while also maintaining a strong attention to detail and high quality standards
- There is always room for efficiencies so we welcome a creative mind when it comes to operational improvements using excel, so you’ll need to be proficient with excel
- This is a demanding environment with constant change so having a can-do attitude with a willingness to dig deep and get things done will be necessary
For this role, you can be based anywhere in the U.S.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun and challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.