Posted 2 months ago
Joust is a growing fintech platform and consumer hero brand. Joust is a simple, fast and effective home loan marketplace. It allows consumers to pitch mortgage lenders against each other to achieve the best rate for their home finance needs and puts the power of the transaction back in the hands of the borrower.
The company’s head office is based in Sydney but also aims to be a remote-first company, with teams distributed around Australia, Portugal, Romania, etc.
Environment & Culture
We work hard to make sure everyone in the team is given the freedom, tools, trust, and support to do their best work.
We believe that we can solve our complex business challenges with people that love what they do with a great environment to improve their skills and generate results for the company and its customers.
As a remote-first and forward-thinking start-up, all our processes are built to support that model. We believe that having:
excellent communication, especially asynchronous, is vital for our teamwork as we are usually far and in different timezones from our teammates;
high performance is key for our development as we have a small but very productive team which builds and deploys quickly with high quality as well;
hacker thinking is essential to improve and innovate the way we work and deliver results; we don’t hire people to only execute tasks;
team collaboration makes us stronger and more confident as a group that relies and support each other, no matter what.
delivery-oriented mindset makes us focus our attention to the most important things and allow us to continue generating results to the business;
business understanding is crucial for everyone who must add value to that;
continuous-education philosophy keeps us outside of the comfort zone and pushes us to always be better than yesterday; stay hungry!
We have a very promising period ahead as we have recently merged with another company – a similar competitor in the home loan origination space – the business is now in a position to scale rapidly, and it requires new software engineers keen to solve complex problems with modern technologies.
We have started building new products and features in a serverless architecture which brings more flexibility for our platform but also other challenges to be solved, as it is a fairly new architecture model. In the same time, we have other products that need to be supported and, eventually, migrated to this new serverless architecture model. It’s a great opportunity to join a team that combines innovation and results at the same time.
This position requires a senior software engineer to work locally from our head office in Sydney or remotely (from GMT-1 to GMT+14). If working remotely you must be able to join our daily team meetings and have flexible working hours whenever it requires.
- Design and build serverless microservices for fintech applications
- Turn requirements into simple, elegant, optimal solutions
- Work at all phases of the software development lifecycle (planning, design, implementation, deployment and support)
- Deliver on business functionality and support existing functionalities
- Server-side software development with object-oriented languages
- Relational and Non-Relational Database technologies experience
- Communication is your strong suit: in code, in email, in Slack, and face-to-face
- Experience with TDD methodology
- Experience with designing and ownership of distributed systems
- Ability to thrive in a cross-functional environment
- Solid understanding of service-oriented architecture and familiarity with microservices architecture
- An understanding of concepts like threading and event-driven asynchronous I/O
- Working knowledge of AWS or similar cloud platforms and experience in deploying cloud-based applications
- Software Engineering: 8+ years (Preferred)
- Server-side software development with object-oriented languages: 6+ years (Required)
- Non-Relational Database technologies: 2+ years (Required)
- Relational Database technologies: 2+ years (Required)