About the role:
Pixel Union is looking for an experienced front-end developer to join our Agency team. Agency Developers bring our custom projects to life, working closely with the design team to produce best-in-class digital experiences. We're looking for someone who has an eye for the little details that can make or break a stand out UX. Developers play an active role in projects, both internal and client-facing and help shape our coding standards and best practices so that we can continue to deliver the best quality code to our clients.
Success in the role requires a high degree of flexibility and adaptability, a passion for both the practice and the principles of development, a deep knowledge of front-end development technologies, and a desire to work closely with designers and back end developers on the team to ensure every project lives up to Pixel Union’s reputation for industry-leading quality.
All code at Pixel Union is peer-reviewed, and we look for developers who are able to clearly explain their technical choices. We encourage consistent and readable code, with a focus on maintainability.
As a Pixel Union dev, you'll...
- Develop front-end code for Pixel Union’s custom Shopify projects, based on the design requirements and project brief
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Organize and manage personal tasks on assigned projects
- Integrate and collaborate with back-end developers as project complexity dictates
- Ability and interest in learning new technologies and techniques
- Happy to align with shared coding standards, and eager to help shape future best practices
- Constantly seeking new ways to improve the development process, and able to share new knowledge with the team
- Comfortable collaborating with a design team and providing input on proposed features
- Interface with external development groups and 3rd party platforms, as needed
- Contribute to internal projects and planning discussions
- Develop reusable code and libraries for future use
- Develop documentation for code standards, and workflows
- Nurture our junior development team members with coaching, support and insight
You'll use your skills and experience in...
- 2 years of hands-on developing Shopify projects (custom themes, apps)
- Version control (Git)
- Written and verbal communication and ability to accurately estimate tasks, and not afraid to flag issues early
- Strong problem-solving abilities and self-management
- Attention to detail when replicating design while maintaining development best practices
- Recognizing development patterns in order to write more efficient/functional code
- Managing multiple projects with strict deadlines
- Familiarity with design tools such as Figma and InVision
- Demonstrated commitment to personal and professional growth
- Sharing your passion about technology
If you have these skills that's a huge plus!
- Desire to learn the Liquid (Shopify) templating language and master the Shopify & Shopify Plus platform
- Experience with BigCommerce, Wordpress, Netlify, Gatsby, and React
Please include a cover letter with your application – we’d love to better understand your background and experiences. We value diverse perspectives and believe that skills are transferable!
We are a company built on creativity, teamwork and employee well-being. We work hard, push our limits, and enjoy ourselves around fun, good people on challenging and rewarding tasks.
Some of our perks include:
- Competitive base salary
- Opportunity for growth as the company grows
- Exposure and learning across teams and services
- Health benefits and RRSP matching
- Company-sponsored fitness allowance
- Generous vacation policy
- Flexible work schedule and remote-friendly culture and systems
We bring passion and energy to our work, and believe that work should be rewarding, interesting, and come at a sustainable pace. Our team members can be found across Canada, the U.S. and the UK, and are well-adapted to working from home and the remote lifestyle. As long as you have a strong internet connection, you’ll be all set to join this dynamic team!
Please note that due to the nature of client-facing work in an Agency setting, we will be filling this position within the Americas (maximum four hour time difference from Pacific Time). We look forward to hearing from you!