CORE PLATFORM – ENGINEERING – COREVR
Who are we?
We’re Sandbox VR, and we’re the most advanced virtual reality experience in the world. Inside our rooms, we take you on thrilling adventures and transform you into new characters. Our experience is like the movies, except you’re actually with your friends inside the movie.
We are a team of successful startup veterans with deep experience in VR, gaming, technology and hospitality. We’re funded by leading global tech investors including Andreessen Horowitz and Alibaba.
Since we launched in 2017, we’re now live in 8 locations and 6 countries around the world (4.5 stars on Yelp, and the #1 Activity in Hong Kong and Singapore on TripAdvisor), and we’re quickly expanding.
What will you be doing?
This team has the challenge to tie together the online and offline experience across web, device, virtual reality, and physical retail through a novel digital experience. You will help us build this software and stack from the ground up and help define our engineering culture. You will be a significant code contributor.
Who are we looking for?
- Experience with our stack: React, GraphQL w/Apollo, TypeScript, NodeJS, Postgres, Redis, Kubernetes, Google Cloud Platform
- We value ownership highly—the ability to take an idea through all the stages from conception to shipping a product. This reflects throughout our company but is especially true in engineering.
- You love building new things with modern tools. You can hack together ideas without compromising stability, security, code integrity or the user experience. You know what it takes to ship software and understand a path from MVP to scaling a product and codebase. You understand how to design systems in a distributed manner. We build and release frequently and look for those who share that passion.
- You will also help architect our internal systems and processes including analytics, release engineering, monitoring, data management, and other components of small team software development.
- Sandbox VR is a distributed team – reliable internet access is our only requirement.
How can you really impress us?
- If you’ve been a founder in the past, that would be a huge plus. Especially if you’ve failed – our CEO and our President both are failed founders and we enjoy being the underdogs trying to create the impossible. Failed founders fit right in with us.
- If you’ve been an early team member of a startup, we’d love to hear about your experience at different stages of growth. Shipping software evolves as the team size evolves. Understanding how to be scrappy and yet build for the future is an art.
- Have you worked in a distributed engineering team before and have examples of what worked and what didn’t to stay closely connected with your peers? Working remotely isn’t for everyone, and we work tirelessly to best fit into each other’s workflows while minimizing disruptions as possible.
- If you’ve worked in a continuous deployment environment in the past and can clearly articulate the benefits and costs of continuous deployment vs integration, we’d love to hear about it!
- If you’ve been an engineering leader, we’d love to hear that as well. Helping recruit and manage talented contributors is important to this role long-term and your growth is tied to the growth of the team.
How do I apply?
If you’re interested in this role, please apply here, or find some other way to get in touch if you’d really like to stand out. We’d like to see at least a CV or LinkedIn, and a quick cover letter/email/blurb on why you’re the right fit for us.