Posted about 1 year ago
Chef Software is the industry leader in IT automation and DevOps solutions. We are a dynamic and rapidly growing software company with a strong sense of dedication to our customers and the Chef community. We are passionate about our work, while also respecting our work/life mix and ensuring we treat both with the respect they deserve. This is a very collaborative and inclusive work environment where individuals with strong attitudes and aptitudes will have an opportunity to grow their professional careers through working with some of the most advanced technologies and talented developers in the business. We provide competitive compensation, generous benefits, and a professional yet relaxed atmosphere.
At Chef, we develop the world's best products for managing applications and infrastructure at scale, and we deploy them to solve real problems in all kinds of industries. We get to work with the latest in cloud and container technologies. We have the opportunity not just to follow but to shape best practice. Our platform is used to enable billions of people around the world to chat, fly, present, bank, game, shop, and learn. Chances are the applications and devices you use every day have infrastructure built, deployed, secured and run with our code.
This is a position for our Seattle, WA headquarters.
Operations Engineers at Chef are experts in building and operating complex infrastructure of distributed systems. This position is for an individual who has years of experience building, supporting, and maintaining production and non-production infrastructure. Success in this role requires working with cross functional teams, assessing systems design and architecture, and iteratively improving it for further resiliency and scalability. Chef's Operations team controls risk factors, automates solutions, and keeps the technical infrastructure of the business running efficiently.
- Support, maintain, and improve existing production and non-production infrastructure
- Participate in on-call rotation and incident handling
- Perform on-site work at our Seattle data center in support of other teams, as necessary
- Create and update runbooks and other documentation related to our infrastructure
- Peer review other Operations team members pull requests to deploy changes
Experience & Qualifications
- 5-10 years experience as an Operations Engineer or System Administrator
- In depth knowledge of monitoring, metrics, and logging technologies and methods
- In depth knowledge of configuration management with Chef Infra is preferred
- Experience with cloud providers such as AWS and Azure is preferred
- Experience with container technologies such as Docker is preferred
- Experience writing automation using multiple dynamic languages such as Ruby, shell, and Python
- Previous experience managing Chef Infra Server is a bonus
- Experience with our primary datastores: PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, Redis is a bonus
- Excellent communication skills and experience using real-time collaboration tools (i.e., GitHub)
Work isnt just about work though. We offer competitive salaries, equity, fantastic benefits, and flexible hours. Youll also get to work with some of the most down to earth, driven, intelligent and well read engineers in the industry!
If this sounds like a team youd enjoy working with and technology you want to spend time on, for a product you can get behind, get in touch!
At Chef, we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our products and our community to flourish. Chef is honored to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or Veteran status.