A brief overview:
GitLab is building an open source, single application for the entire DevOps lifecycle—from project planning and source code management to CI/CD, monitoring, and security.
We started 2019 with a team of 15 Product Designers and Researchers, and we're doubling the team's size this year. You can look over our organizational chart to see our open vacancies.
Our Product Designers work across a range of disciplines, including product strategy, evaluative research, interaction design, UX strategy, prototyping, and visual design.
At GitLab, we live and breathe open source principles. This means our entire handbook is online, and with a few clicks you can find the details of future releases and an overview of the product vision you’d contribute to when working here.
What you can expect in a Senior Product Designer role at GitLab:
- You'll help improve the overall experience of our product through research and design.
- You'll define the product goals, roadmap, and strategy, all to solve user problems.
- You’ll work alongside UX Researchers, Product Managers, and Engineers to iterate on new features within the GitLab product.
- You’ll communicate your design thinking and ideas through wireframes, prototypes, user flows, mockups, and hi-fidelity visual designs.
- You’ll engage with our user base and the wider GitLab community to understand their pain points and work toward long-term fixes that enable them to succeed with their goals.
- You’ll undertake usability testing to validate your thinking. (We’ve got an excellent team of UX Researchers who can offer guidance, as needed.)
- You’ll share findings from research and testing with the wider team, ensuring recommendations are communicated effectively across our organization.
- You’ll contribute to our Design System, alongside the rest of the UX team and the GitLab community as a whole.
Projects you might work on:
We have vacancies across our Create, Secure, Defend, Monitor, Package, Configure, Release & Verify, Growth, Geo, Fulfillment, Ecosystem, and Distribution stage groups. We work using Agile methodologies and ship features monthly.
You should apply if:
- You’ve got at least a few years of experience designing developer tools, enterprise software, or complex web applications.
- You're an experienced, product designer who's working at a Senior level in your current team
- You want to mentor other designers, and shape design processes in a product design team
- You enjoy getting involved in research and usability testing, and you continually look to improve your user research abilities.
- You want to design for a complex product with technical users who have continually evolving needs.
- You’ve got a portfolio of work that shows us your product design skills across user research, UX strategy, wireframing, prototyping, product strategy, and visual design.
- The idea of playing a key part in the evolution of our Pajamas Design System is truly exciting to you.
- Our values of collaboration, results, efficiency, diversity, iteration, and transparency resonate with you.
What it’s like to work here at GitLab:
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Because GitLabbers are currently located in 51 different countries, you’ll spend your time collaborating with kind, talented, and motivated colleagues from across the globe.
Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLabbers are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually. You can work incredibly flexible hours, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. Also, every nine months or so, we’ll invite you to our Contribute event.