Posted about 1 year ago
GitHub is looking for Security Operations Engineers to join our Security Operations team. As a hybrid team of traditional infrastructure engineers, site reliability engineers and security engineers, we work together to create systems, tools, and policy that enables our fellow engineers to securely operate and scale the world's largest code hosting platform. We contribute to organization-wide projects and aggressively seek to automate and optimize wherever possible. Some of the security infrastructure and services you will help design, ship and maintain include secure provisioning, secrets management, identity and access management, gateway access services, vulnerability management and incident response tooling and infrastructure.
The team is highly distributed and you must thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. You will be expected to have strong written and oral communication skills and be able to develop effective relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
As an engineer on this team, you'll always be challenged to solve interesting and novel problems that have real impact on how the world builds software. This role does not require an extensive security background or education level, provided you're eager to learn and passionate about security.
- Develop, integrate and maintain secure and performant infrastructure with a focus on reusable code, self service and extensible tooling.
- Integrate and automate services and operational tasks by consuming and building APIs, tools and frameworks.
- Use metrics and monitoring to ensure the security of our infrastructure.
- Find ways to use or modify existing systems to improve security for our platform.
- Partner with security, SRE, infrastructure, application engineering, and data analytics teams to ensure the security, availability and resilience of our infrastructure.
- Cultivate the open source projects developed by GitHub and build things you are proud to share.
- Proven track record of building, securing and automating enterprise scale infrastructure and systems.
- Proficiency in high-level languages such as Ruby, Python, Bash, etc.
- An understanding of the Linux operating system.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services or a similar cloud provider.
- Familiarity with configuration/orchestration management software such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt.
- A tenacious ability to diagnose and fix security, performance and reliability problems.
- Pragmatic and collaborative approach to decision making and system design.
- Experience building highly available and secure systems at scale.
- Contributions to open source.
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker.
- Experience with Linux internals, runtime debugging and networking stack.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 36 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
What We Value:Collaboration:
We believe the best work is done together.
We believe in putting people first.
We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Where We Can HirePlease note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.