Software Motor Company (SMC) is changing the way the world consumes energy. As an infrastructure-focused software engineer, you’ll help us revolutionize the $100 billion-plus electric motor industry with a software-driven motor that reduces energy use by 50%+. You’ll have the autonomy to tackle hard problems, take our Kubernetes clusters to the next level, write (Gitlab) CI/CD pipelines that speed up software development, and deliver end-user features (Golang).
SMC is pioneering the software-driven motor. Our software shapes electrical currents, controls smart buildings, and turns data into insights. Engineers at SMC emphasize efficiency, quality, and learning. We take extreme ownership over our work, and take pride in delivering sustainable value to our customers.
We’re looking for an Infrastructure Engineer who will push our Kubernetes clusters to the next level. We’re a small team of multi-disciplinary developers, so you should feel comfortable working across the stack and wearing many hats. You should be well-versed in the landscape of modern infrastructure management, databases, and back-end technologies. You will be a core contributor in a small Cloud team, so you should feel equally comfortable writing CI/CD pipelines and delivering end-user features.
We value and hire for curiosity, integrity, excellence, respect, and contribution. We’re creating a team of experts looking to transform the world.
- 4+ years work experience in software roles, with 2+ years focused on infrastructure
- Managed clusters in production e.g. Kubernetes, Mesos, or Nomad (we use K8s)
- Knowledgeable in distributed systems, APIs, cloud computing and scalability
- Self-starter constantly looking for new ways to contribute to the team
- Experience programming in Go or willingness to learn
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
We’ll be especially excited about you if you have:
- Used Kubernetes and/or Helm in production settings
- Instrumented multiple monitoring systems (metrics collection, health checks, alerts, etc)
- Experience with Python and/or Shell scripting
- Managed InfluxDB, Kafka, and/or PostgreSQL
- Set up clusters via AWS EKS and/or GCP GKE
- Sped up dev teams using GitLab CI/CD pipelines
- Knowledge of Linux/UNIX administration & networking
- Solid Computer Science fundamentals
- Flexible, remote work
- Competitive salary + equity
- Autonomy to build green tech from the ground up
- Health insurance (medical, dental, vision) & 401(k)
- Open PTO policy
- Snacks and catered lunch daily for those in our SF office space
- Incredible growth potential - we are revolutionizing the electric motor industry
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the job description you just read. Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in SMC's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways - not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Software Motor Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
We will offer visa sponsorship for the right candidate. No recruiters, please.