Posted about 1 year ago
This Senior UX Researcher position is 100% remote-based.
A brief overview:
GitLab is building an open source, single application for the entire DevOps lifecyclefrom project planning and source code management to CI/CD, monitoring, and security.
At GitLab, we live and breathe open source principles. This means our entire handbook is online, and with a few clicks you can find the details of future releases and an overview of the product vision you'd contribute to when working here.
We already have a large team of Product Designers and Researchers, and we're planning to more than double the team's size over the next year. Right now we're looking to hire a Senior UX Researcher.
What you can expect in a Senior UX Researcher role at GitLab:
Projects you might work on:
- Proactively identify generative user research projects within your stage groups. Work collaboratively with Product Managers to execute research projects.
- Guide, and where necessary train, UX Designers in how to undertake evaluative research projects and in how to create strategic deliverables (such as journey maps, storyboards, competitive analyses, and personas).
- Understand the technology and features of the stage groups to which you are assigned, and have working knowledge of the end-to-end GitLab product.
- Evangelize research. Share user insights with the broader organisation and externally in creative ways to increase empathy.
- Lead strategic user research initiatives that span multiple stage groups (and possibly the entire product).
- Mentor UX Researchers, both inside and outside of your stage groups.
- Actively contribute to UX Research processes, documentation and repositories.
- Engage in social media efforts, including writing blog articles and responding on Twitter, as appropriate.
- Interview potential UX candidates.
You will be working across our stage groups. We work using Agile methodologies and ship features monthly.
You know you are doing a good job as a UX Researcher when:
You should apply if you have:
- You collaborate effectively with UX Designers and Product Managers.
- You can quickly build rapport with GitLab's users.
- You contribute ideas for feature improvements based on your research findings
It would be an added bonus if you have:
- Significant professional experience with user research.
- Experience integrating user research into product designs.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities.
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Experience of taking a lead user researcher role within a team and mentoring junior research colleagues.
- Experience working for a tech startup.
- Experience working with a remote team.
- Enterprise software experience.
- Developer platform/tool industry experience.
- Degree in psychology, human factors, human-computer interaction or related field.
- Passionate about/experience with open source tools
When submitting your application, please include a covering letter detailing why you think you are suitable for this position.
What it's like to work here at GitLab:
The culture here at GitLab is something we're incredibly proud of. Because GitLabbers are currently located in 51 different countries, you'll spend your time collaborating with kind, talented, and motivated colleagues from across the globe.
Some of the benefits you'll be entitled to vary by the region or country you're in. However, all GitLabbers are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don't count the number of days you take off annually. You can work incredibly flexible hours, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. Also, every nine months or so, we'll invite you to our Contribute event.
Our hiring process for this Senior UX Researcher position typically follows four stages, all completed in separate Zoom calls. The compensation and detailed overview of our hiring process for this Senior UX Researcher role can be found at the bottom of this page.