Posted over 1 year ago
Update May 2019: The Carve team is looking for people who like to hack. If you are interested in what you read below, please apply and we'll get you started on the process. Got questions? You'll get a short intro call very early in the process. This is the best place to raise any questions you might have. We have a special interest for candidates in the NYC region but if you can hack lets talk. Thanks ...the Carve team.
What's the job?
* Information security consulting: assessing the security of software and hardware systems.
* Understanding how systems are built and learning how to break them.
* Working with our experienced team on short-to-medium term engagements.
What would you do?
Every two to three weeks you'll get a new project to work on. A typical project will involve:
* Recon: Digging into the functionality, design, and implementation of the software system or device.
* Probing: Searching for implementation weaknesses which could indicate a security issue. This is a combination of tools that we use, tools that we build, and manual probing. For device projects this can include firmware extraction, analysis, and hardware interfacing.
* Extending: Now that you've found a weakness... how far can you extend your access into the system?
* Writing: Now that you've hacked your way in you'll need to write-up your findings and work with the developers to make sure they understand what the problem is and how to fix it.
If you enjoy puzzles and technical variety you'll find this job very enjoyable.
Who are we looking for?
* You do not need to have information security experience. If you've got the right technical background and problem solving skills we can train you in the dark arts of infosec.
* People who enjoy writing code, solving problems with code, and learning how computers work at a fundamental level.
* This is not a "travel every week" type of consultant. We do sometimes work at a client site but most of the time we do our projects remotely.
We’re hiring for all experience levels: from zero career experience to information security veterans.
Skills & Requirements
* Deep experience in software and computers. You may have earned this experience with a degree, career as a software developer, or perhaps you've invested in a technical hobby that took you deep into the rabbit hole.
* Technical writing skills (English)
* Resident of the USA and able to be employed in the USA.
We encourage remote candidates to reply *if* they are residents of the USA.