Posted 5 months ago
Manager, Software Engineering Leadership Opportunities, Heroku
***Currently we have Leadership opportunities on our Front-end Engineering team and our Runtime team.***
Location: US & Canada
(100% Remote or Offices - SF, CA /Bellevue, WA / Indianapolis, IN / Louisville, CO / Burlington, MA / Vancouver, CN)
The Heroku Manager Opportunity:
- Manager roles are open in the Heroku Data, Runtime, and Platform Services departments, each of which is roughly 40 engineers, managers and PMs distributed around the US and Canada
- Heroku Data and Runtime develop and operate the underlying platform on which the rest of Heroku runs. We build scalable, distributed systems that support our critical internal customers and millions of external customers.
- Heroku Platform Services develops and operates the Heroku Platform itself: that includes the CLI and Dashboard user experience, the higher workflows like Continuous Deployment and Integration, the operational experience, the public APIs, and more.
- Our systems are built with AWS, Go, Ruby, gRPC, Kubernetes, Terraform, Postgres, Kafka and more.
- Our teams and leaders value team culture, inclusiveness, trust and safety above all
- Our leadership group is spread across the experience spectrum and we offer a great opportunity to learn from a diverse group of leaders in a strong mentorship environment
- We lead as a group, work closely together, share big responsibilities and support each other
- Heroku Engineering is growing quickly and offers an opportunity for developing leaders to grow with us
Examples of recent manager-led work:
- Introducing new collaboration models as we grow (our squad and guild model) and evangelizing our methods within the broader engineering org
- Developing a team health survey and group discussion exercise based on the re:work framework for team effectiveness
- Embedding in a squad of 3-5 engineers to rapidly iterate and ship something (ie: a customer-facing feature like Automated Cert Management or an engineering-driven sustainability improvement like decomposing our process manager into sharded Go gRPC services)
- Working directly with strategic customers to gather feedback, navigate challenges and negotiate priorities
- Building relationships with major technology vendors and influencing their roadmaps
- Improving our hiring and onboarding processes to be more inclusive and scalable
Profiles relevant to us may feature:
- Fostering collaborative, engaging and inclusive team environments
- Establishing clear priorities, expectations, and accountability for individuals and teams
- Guiding people through periods of growth and change
- Driving the execution and delivery of features by collaborating with many cross-functional teams, architects, product owners and engineers
- Partnering with product managers to align on objectives, priorities, tradeoffs, and risk
- Facilitating engineering meetings (stand-ups, planning, retrospectives, design discussions)
- Empowering delivery teams to self-organize
- Providing technical guidance, career development, and mentoring to team members
- Maintaining high morale and motivating delivery teams to go above and beyond
- Vocally advocating for technical excellence and helping teams make good decisions
- Participating in architecture discussions and planning
- Participating in cross-functional coordination, planning, and reviews with leads from other engineering teams
- Maintaining and fostering our culture by interviewing and hiring only the most qualified individuals with an eye towards diversity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to work effectively with geographically distributed teams and people of various backgrounds
- Experience with IaaS, distributed systems and critical production systems is desirable, but not required
Salesforce, the Customer Success Platform and world's #1 CRM, empowers companies to connect with their customers in a whole new way. We are the fastest growing of the top 10 enterprise software companies, the World’s Most Innovative Company according to Forbes, and one of Fortune’s 100 Best Companies to Work For six years running. The growth, innovation, and Aloha spirit of Salesforce are driven by our incredible employees who thrive on delivering success for our customers while also finding time to give back through our 1/1/1 model, which leverages 1% of our time, equity, and product to improve communities around the world. Salesforce is a team sport, and we play to win. Join us!
Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.com or Salesforce.org.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Salesforce will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.