Posted 9 months ago
At Red Hat, we connect an innovative community of customers, partners, and contributors to deliver an open source stack of trusted, high-performing solutions. We offer cloud, Linux, middleware, storage, and virtualization technologies, together with award-winning global customer support, consulting, and implementation services. Red Hat is a rapidly growing company supporting more than 90% of Fortune 500 companies.
The Red Hat Support Engineering team is looking for a Software Maintenance Engineer to join us in Tokyo, Japan. In this role, you will help resolve issues for enterprise customers by providing high-level technical support and sustaining engineering services that maximize uptime and reduce IT costs. You’ll work as part of a team that is dedicated to resolving issues quickly and efficiently. You’ll collaborate with top developers and architects of our customers and assist our technical support engineers with complex and interesting issues. As a Software Maintenance Engineer, you will also partner closely with the development engineering teams and with Red Hat’s key strategic cloud partners to jointly solve multi-vendor customer issues. This is a great opportunity to join one of the fastest-growing enterprise software and services companies and work alongside some of the brightest engineers in open source.
- Partner with the Red Hat OpenShift Online and OKD communities to develop and review patches and test cases
- Analyze upstream development against current customer-reported defects and develop patches to resolve issues
- Use tools like cURL, Git, Docker, Kubernetes, strace, and Wireshark to investigate and troubleshoot technical issues
- Record customer interactions, including investigation, troubleshooting, and resolution of issues
- Work closely with the Development Engineering team and assist production support engineers and technical account managers
- Demonstrate good judgment in selecting methods and techniques to obtain solutions
- Maintain a commitment to providing the best experience possible for Red Hat’s customers
- Manage your workload to ensure that all customer issues are handled and resolved in a timely manner
- Assist in the development of comprehensive and reusable self-service solutions for future incidents
- Bachelor's degree in a technical field, preferably in engineering or computer science
- 5+ years of experience working as a support or development engineer for a Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) provider or hosting service
- 5+ years of experience with Linux or Unix operating systems
- Experience working with hosted applications or large-scale application deployments
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Open vSwitch, Red Hat Middleware, Apache Tomcat, Node.js, Ruby web frameworks, Python web frameworks, and .NET technologies
- Experience with developer workflows, continuous integration (CI) tools like Jenkins and the continuous delivery (CD) paradigm
- Good understanding of Linux tools with an emphasis on cURL, Git, Docker, Kubernetes, strace, and Wireshark
- Solid development-level experience with multiple programming languages and experience writing patches or pull requests
- Excellent reading and writing skills in Japanese; fluent English language skills are a plus
- Commitment to providing the best experience possible for Red Hat’s customers
- Experience with Linux operating system installation, configuration, upgrade, and maintenance is a plus
- Upstream involvement in open source projects and patches submitted for upstream inclusion are a plus
Red Hat is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, uniformed services, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Red Hat does not seek or accept unsolicited resumes or CVs from recruitment agencies. We are not responsible for, and will not pay, any fees, commissions, or any other payment related to unsolicited resumes or CVs except as required in a written contract between Red Hat and the recruitment agency or party requesting payment of a fee.