Posted 5 months ago
Green Bits is the leading provider of retail Point of Sale solutions to the legal cannabis industry. This exciting market is rapidly growing, and Green Bits is growing with it. Our product covers everything from the register to inventory management to integration with state tracking systems. Our expertise in helping our retail customers stay compliant with state rules is what sets cannabis retail apart from all other types of retail, and what sets Green Bits apart from the competition.
We are looking for a great staff-level software engineer to lead our infrastructure and dev-ops team. Our leads take on significant projects, while also coaching and mentoring the team. This role works with other teams to understand the problems and find creative solutions. They are masters at and role models of
- Infrastructure craftsmanship - getting the details right, building for safety and reliability from the ground up
- Operational stewardship - understand what it means to be performant and reliable and what is required to achieve it
- System design - defining the architecture and components that allow us to grow and evolve rapidly
- Engaging cross-functionally - putting team needs first, being a resource to all
Our staff engineers are ready to engage anywhere in the stack, from networking to containerization. They are experts and building and growing maintainable infrastructure in a way that makes the lives of their customers easier and safer.
As a fast-moving startup, we value people who can take on whatever comes their way, figure it out, and get it done. These are the typical responsibilities:
- Partner with other teams - deeply appreciate their problems, propose solutions. This team’s customers are internal and external, and you would be excited to hear about the challenges facing them both.
- Design and implement solutions that support high scale, 24x7 operations.
- Identify and implement best practices that enable our engineering team to manage their own infrastructure and systems.
- Stay up to date with technologies, frameworks, tools. Have great judgment on when to bring new ones into our world.
- Accurately break down large projects into actionable and estimable tasks.
- Be able to jump in to a (possibly old and messy) part of our code, figure it out, and find a path forward.
- Be a resource to the rest of the team - actively coach and mentor, lead by example, perform constructive, detailed reviews of designs and code.
- Understand the connection of the technology to business needs, and the team to both.
- Support our team culture and help us improve.
Just as we don’t have fixed responsibilities, we do not stand on rigid qualifications. As guidance, people with this kind of background tend to do well:
- 10+ years software development experience.
- Experience owning or maintaining a Kubernetes infrastructure.
- Experience identifying data-driven metrics.
- Passion for automating oft-repeated tasks and improving existing tooling.
- Experience scaling a small team into a large one, especially with regards to the buy / build decision making process.
- Demonstrated success collaborating outside of Engineering.
- Be great at, and excited about, the responsibilities listed above applied to the legal cannabis industry.
- Authorized to work in the United States on a full time basis without required sponsorship for employment visa status.