Full-time • Starts April 1, 2020, Ends Nov 30, 2020 • Competitive Pay • Excellent Benefits
Work from Anywhere in the Continental US
About MoveOn Systems
MoveOn’s millions of members generate significant website and digital tool traffic that create interesting scaling problems to solve. We have terabytes of data that drive ambitious analytics, fundraising, and engagement programs. At MoveOn, making decisions with data is a core part of how all work gets done. Like many nonprofit tech teams, we're a small, scrappy team, wear many hats, and work across the software stack.
While we often split up who is working on which projects, everyone on the team works on all parts of our systems. We have ~10 production systems—and two systems running at significant scale—getting thousands of requests per minute during spikes of member energy. We believe in choosing the best language, platform, and tool for the job and are not language zealots, but we also recognize the switching cost of straddling too many languages.
) but believe good programmers don’t need to come in with an exact match of experience and can learn our systems and software stacks. We are deeply collaborative and spend lots of time pair-programming over Zoom video. We have a “no stupid questions” policy and encourage egoless collaboration. We build and maintain infrastructure that powers the organization and amplifies the work of the analytics and mobile teams. We’ve created software management processes based on Agile that let us work in a flexible, all-remote environment and empower us to embed with organizers and work on tight political deadlines.
- Work across many projects with campaign staff to run innovative campaigns using top-of-the-line political technology, digital campaigning tools and data analysis
- Quickly get up to speed and develop mastery in the online campaigning platform ActionKit; candidate will have a supported onboarding process and learning plan that includes ActionKit
- Work side by side with MoveOn team members on complex digital organizing tasks like creating targeted emails, surveys, donation forms, and live event recruitment pages
- Effectively triage and manage a list of technical support tasks to ensure that MoveOn staff's technical needs are met
- Help MoveOn team members edit HTML on campaign webpages
- Write SQL and use data analysis tools to support team members with campaign reporting
- Train MoveOn team members on complex workflows that use online campaigning tools
- Contribute your ideas to organizational strategy discussions
- Contribute your ideas to tech team discussions to enhance and improve our tools and tactics
Required skills and experience:
- Excellent project management skills; ability to organize, manage, and communicate clearly about a list of 30+ tasks at a time
- Excellent process management skills: ability to understand complex organizational systems and optimize processes that intersect with tech.
- At least 2 years of professional experience in a tech or tech-adjacent role.
- Determined, thorough, and a relentless finisher -- able to reliably drive tasks and projects through to completion
- Knowledge of SQL in a relational database like MySQL or PostgreSQL, or a desire to quickly learn
- Experience editing HTML and CSS, or a desire to quickly learn
- Comfortable with or willing to learn to use a linux command line interface
- A strong interest in learning and developing expertise in new technical tools, frameworks, and software
- Able to fluently communicate with both technical and nontechnical staff
- Curious, and a fearless learner and problem solver
- Ability to be effective in an organization whose team members all work remotely
- Ability to effectively and rapidly respond to urgent support requests
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the continental United States.
Classification, Salary, and Benefits: Full-time, competitive salary including benefits such as 100%-employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for all staff and their children; 401k plan with employer contribution, employer-paid premiums for life insurance; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year, prorated for the period that you work; 18 weeks of paid parental leave (birth, adoption, foster care placement of a child), 10 days accrued paid sick time, and paid family medical leave; staff holidays, professional development budget of $1,000, monthly cell phone and internet reimbursement of $175 per month, home office subsidy, and everything needed for a home office.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.