Posted about 1 year ago
UW is a FTSE 250 organisation which has established itself as the most trusted supplier of utility products in the UK. We provide our customers with energy, broadband, mobile and home insurance in one. So they can stop thinking about bills, passwords and price comparisons, and get on with the important things in life. With over 600,000 customers the organisation has grown through a philosophy of offering savings, simplicity and service. The organisation does not advertise, preferring instead to invest in customer services and to keep prices low. UW has predominantly grown through a network of over 45,000 partners who operate as lead generators and advocates for the organisation. Company revenues have grown to an excess of £740 million and the business employs over 1000 individuals. Most staff are based at our headquarters in Colindale, London,whilst a fair number of the Information Technology team work remotely.
UW has an adaptive, agile, fast-paced culture which has enabled it to grow rapidly. The management team has expanded over the last few years as part of the growth strategy with significant hires in technology, legal, marketing, and finance. These hires and the rebuilding of the platform will enable the company to grow to two million customers over the medium-term.
The Business Technology Operations team ensures that the underlying infrastructure of the business is reliable, stable and has the capacity to scale based on the changing needs of the business.
The team is small but highly multifunctional. There is nothing that is "not our job" and there is no tech "we don't know", we just haven't looked it up yet. We strongly believe in infrastructure as code and value correctness, simplicity and performance. Lastly, we love to challenge conventions, just because others are using something, it doesn't mean we will.
Your duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Design, provision and maintain physical, virtual and container (Kubernetes) infrastructure on premise
- Implement self service solutions for on premise service provisioning with Terraform, Ansible and PowerShell
- Work closely with development teams to deliver solutions and advise on best practices. Help development teams to migrate services to AWS or GCP
- Work closely with the End User Experience team and provide technical support and mentoring
- Contribute to the design and implementation of a monitoring solution for the on premise infrastructure
- Support the deployment of Kubernetes in our on premise infrastructure and integrate it with our AWS and GCP Kubernetes clusters
- Strong experience operating and maintaining production systems in a Linux, Windows and public cloud environment
- Strong experience in Infrastructure and virtualization technologies (VMWare, oVirt, KVM)
- Strong experience deploying and maintaining different monitoring, graphing and logging technologies (Prometheus, Grafana and Greylog)
- Good understanding of public cloud (AWS, GCP) and microservices (Docker, Kubernetes) architecture
- Excellent understanding of networking infrastructure (Cisco, Palo Alto, VLANs, Firewalls, Routing, Proxies, DNS)
- Experience with configuration management (Ansible) and infrastructure as code (Terraform, Packer) and version control software (Git)
- Experience managing storage solutions in production (Netapp, Compellent)
- Excellent scripting skills (Bash, Python, PowerShell). Knowledge or interest in Gg(lang) would be helpful.
- Good knowledge of CI/CD principles and methodologies