Posted over 1 year ago
No two days are the same in Support & Technical Services. We engage in challenging problems to solve, constantly pick each other’s brains and our minds are always abuzz with ideas for helping our customers to make the most of their Ubuntu systems.
We are rapidly expanding and are looking for talented professionals with a passion for working on the next generation of Ubuntu solutions for our customers.
Technical Support Engineers in Canonical will be accountable for providing an outstanding technical support experience to our customers. From problem qualification to full resolution, you will own and manage your cases over the phone, email and Web. Your duties will include providing technical expertise through excellent written and verbal communication.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Investigate issues reported by customers by doing your own research and involving others across the organisation as necessary.
- Work to resolve complex customer problems related to Ubuntu OpenStack technologies, Juju, MAAS, as well as general Ubuntu Server and Desktop issues.
- Ensure that each support case owned by you is handled as per our Service Level Agreement (SLA) with the highest possible customer satisfaction by setting the right expectations and fulfilling your commitments.
- Communicate using our support portal and make/receive phone calls with customers to facilitate efficient resolution of issues
- Contribute new articles and maintain existing knowledge base articles.
- On a rotation basis, be available for on-call support out of office hours.
- Participate in a regular weekend working rotation.
- Ability to travel internationally up to 20% of the time.
- Capable of mounting a server in top of a standard datacentre rack.
- Minimum 5 years experience supporting Linux systems.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent experience.
- Familiar with OpenStack, virtualization and other Cloud technologies.
- Advanced troubleshooting (up to application layer, including, core dump analysis and kernel dump analysis desirable).
- Demonstrable expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Advanced storage (RAID, LVM, SAN, file system tuning, etc.)
- Advanced networking (bonding, firewalling, bridging, switching, network file system tuning, etc.)
- Clustering, cloud computing (provisioning, monitoring, orchestration, etc.)
- Linux integration with other environments (authentication/directory services, network file systems, etc.)
- CI/CD tooling
- Container technologies (LXC/LXD, Docker, Kubernetes, Rancher, etc)
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Development level and troubleshooting experience in at least 2 programming languages like Bash, C, Python, GO, etc
- Experience with Ubuntu or Debian. Must be able to understand Ubuntu OS bugs and advise on next steps, acting as a generalist when necessary.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English as a minimum.
- Debian packaging experience and knowledge of Ubuntu development processes.
- Direct experience with MAAS and Juju.
- Familiarity with Snap packages and Snapcraft
- Familiarity with Git or other revision control systems
- Experience with configuration management and deployment tooling (Ansible, Chef, SaltStack, Puppet etc)
- Familiarity with Open Source process and community practices required as well as familiarity with Open Source business model desirable.
- Knowledge of Operating Systems other than Ubuntu.
- Fluency in languages other than English.