Title: Underwriting Consultant – Individual Life Insurance
- Are you an experienced Individual Life underwriting professional who is looking to take the next step in your career?
- Do you thrive on being a creative problem solver who can quickly adapt to a dynamic, evolving environment?
- Are you a strong communicator and collaborator who sees the value in helping others to develop as part of your own growth?
As an Underwriting Consultant, you will underwrite highly complex insurance applications for one or more products; primarily Individual Life Insurance, by evaluating the insurability of applicants. You will manage complex case work includes business, charitable gifting, estate planning and other types of advanced sales scenarios. You will review risk factors, which include medical and nonmedical history, financial requirements, and occupational classes (where relevant) as well as a variety of legal documents supporting the insurance applications. You will make final underwriting decision for all ages and classes within specified dollar limits and according to suitability guidelines and compliance policy. The dollar limit for this position is <=$5,000,000 if life, $15,000 if DI. In addition, you will review Waiver and Disability Claims and Rescissions and is a dedicated resource for the Pinnacle Leaders Group.
Thrivent isn’t your typical Fortune 500 organization. We’re also a not-for-profit, and fraternal benefit society committed to strengthening our member communities by helping our members be wise with money and inspiring them to live generously.
We currently are looking for people of the highest quality who share our core values and the values we share with our members.
Position is in Appleton, WI or Minneapolis, MN. Relocation assistance is available. Remote/Work from home may be an option.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to accurate and consistent risk selection as well as fraud detection.
- Ensures high level of customer satisfaction by partnering with financial associates, team members, medical and legal consultants to determine the best possible outcome for members.
- Handles complex and sensitive written and verbal communications, often influencing behavior via these communications.
- Actively engages in the activities of their team(s). These activities include assisting less experienced coworkers, training, flexing to ensure appropriate coverage and using collaborative skills to increase effectiveness of working relationships as well as team performance.
- Conducts quality audits on underwriters.
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- A minimum of 5 years of individual life underwriting experience in the insurance industry.
- Approval amounts at $5,000,000 for Individual Life Insurance and managing complex cases
- Attainment of CLU or FALU designation preferred as well as completion of select courses (e.g. CLU, ALU, HIAA, FLMI, FIC) and Computer Based Training courses as indicated in coursework requirements plan (this coursework requirements plan is available upon request).
- In-depth knowledge of medical terminology and human anatomy.
- Familiarity with contract law and regulations governing underwriting practices.
- High-level decision -making and creative thinking skills.
- Highly reciprocal with well-developed interpersonal, written and verbal communication, mentoring and negotiation skills.
- Comfort working in a dynamic, quickly changing and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Proven public speaking along with underwriting training and facilitation experience
- Strong customer focus.
Other Critical Factors
- Working knowledge of membership eligibility requirements as well as present and past products is a plus but not required.
- Broad perspective understanding of Thrivent Financial and the financial services industry is a plus but not required.
- Continuous improvement and/or Agile experience or knowledge is a plus but not required.
- Ability to work Monday – Friday between the hours of 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. CST.
Along with Thrivent’s core health and wellness benefits, you would be eligible to receive the following benefits and opportunities:
- Annual Incentive Plan
- Up to 20 Days of Paid Time Off
- Up to 20 Hours of Volunteer Time Off
- 401(k) and Pension
- Tuition reimbursement
- Cafeteria and employee discounts
- Employee Business Resource Groups
- On campus day care – Appleton, WI campus only
- Free onsite fitness center and Employee Health services – Appleton, WI campus only
You don’t need to be Christian to join our team. You do need the passion to guide our members on their Wise with Money Journey, equipping them to live more content, confident and generous lives. Thrivent strives to provide an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, sex, genetic information, or any other status or condition protected by applicable state or federal laws. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.