Posted about 1 year ago
Job DescriptionAbout Toptal
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a UX Content Strategist on Toptal’s Content Strategy Team, you will be responsible for leading initiatives to forward Toptal’s brand content strategy across all Toptal products, including the Toptal site, platform, mobile apps, and more.
You will focus in particular on Toptal’s core product and platform, as well as any other initiatives from the Product team that require content strategy. Projects can include enhancing existing features, rolling out new features, and helping to decide taxonomies and naming conventions for system labels/statuses.
All applicants must submit a PDF portfolio that showcases a variety of content work, including at least one product interface you’ve helped work on (e.g., a CRM, CMS, BPM, SaaS product with a web interface, etc.), as well as any other types of business content strategy work you would like to highlight.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
- Lead initiatives forwarding the creative strategy of Toptal messaging across a variety of areas, including the Toptal site, platform, mobile apps, and more.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the Content Strategy team as appropriate on cross-functional projects.
- Secondarily help out on general content strategy requests. These will be ad-hoc projects that can come from any area of the business, including growth, sales, marketing, operations, etc.
- Define and apply copy standards across the Toptal platform, ensuring that all users have a clear and consistent experience.
- Work closely with teams of product managers and designers to devise and implement the content needs for their projects.
- Research Toptal’s audience and develop user personas to guide content decisions.
- Provide rapid feedback and copy editing to product managers and the design team as needed.
- Identify UX and copy problems and devise elegant solutions where appropriate.
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders as required for projects.
- Take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- Create provocative marketing language for our experiences to help position Toptal as a forward-thinking, unique, intelligent, innovative company ready to solve our clients’ business challenges.
- Help build the future of Content Strategy at Toptal, and help lead the content creation of our experiences on behalf of our brand marketing team.
In the first week you will:
- Meet the other members of the content strategy team.
- Begin to learn the high-level principles of Toptal’s brand voice and messaging strategy.
- Immerse yourself in your first content projects.
- Integrate yourself into the brand marketing function.
In the first month you will:
- Meet other stakeholders across Toptal that you’ll work with.
- Complete several content projects and get a better feel for the types of work you’ll be doing.
- Clarify and pressure-test different processes and workflows you’ll use when collaborating with other functions.
In the first three months you will:
- Become fully integrated into Toptal.
- Have finished several major initiatives that you’ll be proud of.
- Strategize and roadmap future projects you’ll take on.
In the first six months you will:
- Strategize how to scale the work you do as Toptal grows.
- Have helped launch a new app and other exciting product features and enhancements.
- 5+ years’ experience in content strategy.
- Experience with product development is required. You must be familiar with how quality digital products are developed and have a clear point of view on how specific content decisions can make or break a user experience.
- A strong creative mind and the ability to connect business strategies to content strategy.
- Ability to think about and write content focused on nuanced technical concepts relevant to development, design, finance, and project/product management. Technical writing experience is a plus.
- Experience working with product teams, including working with UX/UI designers, information architecture, responsive design, and SEO considerations.
- Ability to work with stakeholders to understand detailed requirements and build copy flows for complete user experiences that meet stakeholder needs and vision.
- Exceptional clarity of thought in communication and analysis, and the ability to explain complex user experiences in simple terms.
- A strong knack for communication strategy and an eye for the long-term scalability of content decisions.
- Exceptional creativity and the ability to visualize strategic product solutions and bring them to life with copy.
- Experience as a SaaS product manager is a plus, but not required.
- You must be a relentless, creative problem solver who is unwilling to compromise on the clarity and impact of copy.
- You must have a strong understanding of the components of compelling, action-inducing communications. You must be able to write marketing headlines that grab attention and make people think about Toptal in an exciting way.
- You must be able to conceptualize copy and content from scratch as well as make existing copy stronger and more compelling.
- You must have outstanding written and verbal communications skills, as well as perfect grammar and command of the English language.
- You must be able to incorporate feedback to arrive at the best possible outcome.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.