Posted 4 months ago
Are you excited to build and run a research team that influences product, design, and marketing decisions in a 100% remote company? Then keep reading!
At Zapier, we know that UX Research is vital to product development, and our product is ripe for research. Our platform is effectively a Turing-complete piece of software; it can do nearly anything. Because of that, UX Research doesn't just answer interesting questions about user behavior; our team focuses on impact and how to best support our customers. As the leader of the UX Research team, you will oversee a team of world-class researchers across multiple research disciplines. You will help the organization gain a better understanding of our customers' wants and needs to build features and products that resonate with our users. You will act as a strategic partner across Product Marketing, Product Management and Design to ensure cohesive and cross-functional vision for product development at Zapier.
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. Hopefully, you'll take the leap and apply.
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
You know tech products with a broad, horizontal user base
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
. Zapier is a product with users in an amazing variety of industries, verticals, job roles, and company types (including many small businesses). You should be comfortable working with a broad variety of customers, buyers, and users.
You are an experienced people leader
. This isn't your first rodeo. You have 5 years of experience hiring, training, and managing teams of 6+ UX Researchers.
You're comfortable working in qualitative research areas with some experience leveraging quantitative data.
We have Data and Decision science teams to perform heavy quantitative analyses, and you will collaborate regularly to help them understand where a deep dive might be fruitful, as well as use their results to inform future areas of qualitative research. You are comfortable working across these disciplines to accomplish both teams' goals. You've either led quantitative studies or interfaced heavily with a quantitative team in the past.
You put your team's and customers' needs first
. You enjoy helping and enabling researchers do great work. You optimize your research strategy for what helps users best achieve their goals.
You love collaboration and feedback
. You understand successful research doesn't happen in a vacuum or in secret. You believe in sharing work early, openly, and often. You enjoy teaming up with product managers, engineers, data scientists, customer champions, writers, and customers to help make the research team's work as effective as possible.
You are resourceful
. You know how to work across functions to get the research team ahead of projects. You work diligently to ensure progress is made across active projects, and you know when you need to jump in.
You are an expert in allocation
. You will ensure we are always focusing on the highest priority things, focusing both on the short-term needs as well as looking ahead to the next big challenge.
Things you might do
- Help Zapier deliver more value to customers and potential customers by deeply understanding their needs and wants
- Empower product and marketing teams to perform at a high level by giving them timely insights into our customers and prospects
- Lead a team of 4+ researchers to provide user insights and recommendations that help teams make better human-centered decisions
- Maintain broad context on major projects happening around the organization to ensure that the research team is able to influence decisions at the right time
- Help UX researchers shape their findings into meaningful themes and impactful recommendations
- Advocate for and teach research skills across the organization by guiding product managers, designers, and others to self-serve on aspects of user research
- Hold weekly one on ones with members of the research team
- Hold a weekly meeting to help the team execute on current priorities
- Build rapport with your team and work hard to help them level up their skills
- Collaborate with the data and decision science teams
- Actively recruit, onboard and train new UX researchers at Zapier
- As a part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers have the best possible experience with Zapier
For the past seven years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Our distributed environment lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
Benefits & perks:
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-based employees.
How to Apply
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please make sure to answer each question.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.