Posted about 1 year ago
Job CategoryProducts and Technology
Salesforce is looking for a Vice President of Engineering to lead the transition of our services operating model as we move from first party data centers into public cloud. The successful candidate will partner across the organization, particularly with the SRE, foundational, and product development teams, to define and implement new processes that support well-defined roles and responsibilities for managing our services in an environment that allows for new models of delivery, recoverability, and scale in a way that is low touch and highly trusted. You will own the vision, drive alignment around that vision across the top technology executives, and be responsible for managing the team that ultimately delivers it.
You will accomplish this by:
What you'll need to be successful:
- Partnering with executive leaders in order to define the service ownership roles and responsibilities for SRE and service teams to ensure operational excellence, reliability, performance efficiency while ensuring that we maintain the trust that Salesforce is well known for. This will require a "Product Management" mindset because of the need to reach out to "customers" (internal execs/teams), presenting and driving alignment around vision, creating a clear long range roadmap, etc.
- Aligning and driving the tooling strategy to enable both service owners and SRE to gauge and act on service-health metrics, including new and existing tools for monitoring, alerting, and visualization
- Influencing through active listening and engagement at all levels of the organization
- Driving multiple high profile program workstreams spanning teams in Public Cloud as well as across Technology and Products
- Setting standards around patterns, frameworks and technologies to promote a simple and consistent approach across multiple types of services
- Being an influencer around software architecture best practices, including supportability, scalability, performance, availability, maintainability, extensibility and security
- Driving transparency and decision making through the cross cloud and cross functional leadership team of your programs
- Building the operating model for the key Service Ownership program workstreams, which will include all the necessary strategy and leadership forums and communication channels, as well as the release planning and execution 'engine'
- 3+ years of experience in running enterprise services in a public cloud environment
- Proven experience driving organizational transformation
- Proven ability to collaborate across multiple teams and drive to success through influence
- Strong communication, partnership and management skills to lead and collaborate with engineering, DevOps and product teams
- 3+ years in a leadership role in a large technology organization building services and micro-services
- Experience driving timely requirements into virtual teams across many parts of an organization, including monitoring, security, cost to serve, tooling, services
- Prior success in fast-paced agile environments with mentoring and leading by example
- Deep understanding of cloud technologies and the tradeoffs of developing applications that run in first party data centers vs in public cloud
- Solid understanding of the Google SRE operational model and the Service Ownership requirement definition including across the AWS Well Architected Framework pillars
- Ability to arbitrate technical discussions and make challenging calls
- Experience in building an operational model for organizations/business units
- Proven track record in bringing clarity to ambiguous situations
Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.com or Salesforce.org.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Salesforce will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.