As the company grows, we're looking to expand our design team and improve everything about the Ghost brand and how it's represented to our users and customers. We care, deeply, about great design and experience — at the expense of most other things. Design work has a very strong voice here.
This is a broad role which is about leading design in lots of different areas, primarily around all of our brand, marketing, website, and just about every property that our users will come into contact with.
All of Ghost's design was initially done by our Founder/CEO - John, and today our design is led by Zimo - who spends the majority of his time deeply focused on our product. You'll be the 3rd member of the Ghost design team, so you'll have a massive amount of opportunity to influence design across the entire organisation.
We're looking for a visual designer with a deep understanding of marketing, branding, and user communication — and who cares deeply about quality, and helping to create (+evolve) a refined, beautiful style.
⚡️ Working with design and marketing leadership to define, evolve, and maintain Ghost's brand identity across all marketing and product touch points.
🎨 Creation of websites, landing pages, diagrams, illustrations, stickers, tshirts, checkout flows, billing management. You'll lead all of our most public facing properties and brand assets. The visual voice of the company.
🚀 You'll work with the marketing/business team on projects which are directly related to growing the business and creating user-facing content.
💑 Designers at Ghost work on different cross-functional teams, there's still plenty of collaboration and feedback between teammates to help and support each other throughout various projects.
👻 Lots of freedom to take control of your process, iterating and learning what works (and what doesn't), and putting your work into production. There's a lot of opportunity for professional growth here, as the team expands.
📢 Communicating effectively with stakeholders when presenting your work and clearly articulating your design rationale
⚖️ Managing multiple projects, while setting appropriate expectations and meeting realistic deadlines
* An underdog. We aren't hiring flashy designers from Fortune 500's here, we're looking for real human people who like to do great work. If you don't think you're good enough for this role, then you're probably exactly who we'd like to join the team. Please do apply!
* Fiercely independent. All teams at Ghost operate fairly autonomously, and all team members are responsible for helping make decisions about what needs to be done. You'll need to be comfortable ideating, prototyping, testing and delivering designs without someone standing over your shoulder telling you what to do.
* Meticulous about style. Despite frequent character assassination amongst UX professionals, aesthetic style matters a great deal. We don't A/B test 50 shades of blue here to determine what converts best, we care about making beautiful things which we love.
* Humble but opinionated. We like smart people who have lots of ideas, yet are happy to discard their former opinions whenever a better way of doing things presents itself.
* A clear communicator. Good design is good communication, and as a remote team which communicates almost exclusively through writing — concise, written communication is absolutely essential to this role.
* An active collaborator. We look for people who actively want critical feedback on their work early and often, and who get a kick out of refining and pushing what they do as a collaborative process because it creates a better end result. No design heroes.
* Comfortable with code. Ghost is a software company, and everyone here codes in one way or another. You don't need to be an expert, but you do need to be actively open to learning and working with code to do design.
* Hungry for meaningful work, and space to do it. Almost all work at Ghost is complex and extremely challenging - but also deeply rewarding. We're not in the slightest bit fucking interested in what Design-Twitter thinks about... well, anything at all really. We're aggressively uncool.
This role would be particularly suited to someone with a background as a freelancer or at an agency, who is looking for more, that they aren't getting from doing client work. This is a role where you can help influence design over the long term, not just fulfil a temporary brief which needs to be delivered quickly.
We don't mind where you're based or what hours you work, but this role does require reasonable working-hours overlap with the rest of our product/marketing teams in Europe.
We value diversity of all types at Ghost and our team is made up of a kind, thoughtful group of people with a wide range of backgrounds. We have as many people who speak German as we do English and our engineering team contains as many women as it does men. Some of us are single, others are married, while others are parents. We actively try to find people with different perspectives and experiences to the ones we already have.